free website stats program better front tire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

better front tire

This is a great question. And responding to the replys about same manufacturer and same model on front and rear. I agree, but, then why does the 05 FLSTC OEM require a Dunlop 402 MT90 B16 on the front and a Dunlop 401 150/80 on the rear? BUT asking around many guys are running 402 Mt90 or MU85 (keeping in mind the difference between a front and rear tire) on the rear on the 05 FLSTC. So other than size what is the differnece. Tread pattern appears to be the same. Is the compond differnt? I got tell you I have asked this question on this site, at several tire sites, and several HD dealer. So far not a clear answer other than the 402 on the rear might be a little skinner.
You are correct in that the tread pattern of the d401 and d402 looks the same it is possible that the 2 types of tyres are the same compound and will work together however the shape of the tyre and the sizes available are different d401 is in metric sizing
slightly different weight loading and the d402 is available with white walls
Looking for really good grip. I tend to lean hard on some corners and tight curves. I know, I know, FXST not really designed for it. But it's fun. I will stick with the Dunlops. Just figured the GT502 might be a better tire to go with. And it's only a few $$ more. I'll probably put another 402 on.
I have D401 on my sportster d402 on my wide glide and earlier this year put avon venom x on my softail custom i was not too happy with the wet and cold grip of the dunlop tyres although in warm and dry weather they are fine so i did a wee bit of research and and ended up trying the avon tyres and so far i am happy with them they do work well in all the conditions the scottish roads have thrown at them so far this year but have not seen too much warm and dry
i have no idea of what the tyre life of them will be but i like the way they grip and as our roads are not very straight tight curves are available frequently in any direction i go in
The me 880 may also be a tyre for good grip i worked on that avon is a UK based company and that their tyres should be good in our road conditions

Brian

Back