free website stats program better front tire | Harley Davidson Forums

better front tire

SixPak

I need to replace my front tire on my 07 FXST. It has the Dunlop 402 on it. Just wondering whats better. The D402 or the Gt502? Has the Dunlop 205 on the rear with only 3500 miles on it and don't want to replace it. From all I've read It's better to stick with matching brands. So what do you guys think? D402 or GT502??

It is not just matching brands that it is best to stick to but matching tyres if the front tyre has a different compound from the rear the 2 tyres will grip differently and could cause handling issues
So not only should it be the same manufacturer but the same model of tyre for best safety

Brian

Thanks Brian. I figured as much, but decided to ask anyway before I do change it next week.

I need to replace my front tire on my 07 FXST. It has the Dunlop 402 on it. Just wondering whats better. The D402 or the Gt502? Has the Dunlop 205 on the rear with only 3500 miles on it and don't want to replace it. From all I've read It's better to stick with matching brands. So what do you guys think? D402 or GT502??

I have had very good results with the Dunlop 402. Would not change. just my 2cts.

Also had good performance with the Dunlop. Changed out front and rear tires at 11.5K, the back, 17"x 200mm, needed it, the front, 21x2.15" could have gone a few K more, wanted new rubber on both wheels.

This is a great question. And responding to the replys about same manufacturer and same model on front and rear. I agree, but, then why does the 05 FLSTC OEM require a Dunlop 402 MT90 B16 on the front and a Dunlop 401 150/80 on the rear? BUT asking around many guys are running 402 Mt90 or MU85 (keeping in mind the difference between a front and rear tire) on the rear on the 05 FLSTC. So other than size what is the differnece. Tread pattern appears to be the same. Is the compond differnt? I got tell you I have asked this question on this site, at several tire sites, and several HD dealer. So far not a clear answer other than the 402 on the rear might be a little skinner.

Looking for really good grip. I tend to lean hard on some corners and tight curves. I know, I know, FXST not really designed for it. But it's fun. I will stick with the Dunlops. Just figured the GT502 might be a better tire to go with. And it's only a few $$ more. I'll probably put another 402 on.

Doing well, hope all is well. Waiting for June 9th to attend the Republic of Texas Bike Rally in Austin.:D

Back