free website stats program Best way to lower an 09 Ultra? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Best way to lower an 09 Ultra?

Picked up the BRAND NEW Electra Glide last night! Man what a ride, it rode just like I imagined it would. Had the dealer do an install of the Burly Slam Kit, along with a two up seat. Between the two it lowered the bike a full 4 ½ inches (114.3mm). I have to change out the kickstand as the lean of the bike has been reduced. A small sacrifice I am willing to make. Did not notice any handling problems other than sitting lower… of course it was a slow easy ride (only 30 miles) home from the dealer as I am currently in the breaking in stage. However initial recommendation for the slam kit is two thumbs up. OH, one last note I stand 5 foot 5 inches, 29 inch inseam and I am now sitting flat footed (a true flat foot, not on toes).

OK folks, let me restate this, The Burly Slam kit was a 2 inch drop in the front end with the springs, 2 1/2 drop in the rear with the new shocks, the reach seat sat me another 2 inches down (less padding). Overall I am sitting a total of 4 inches lower than a stock bike.

OK folks, let me restate this, The Burly Slam kit was a 2 inch drop in the front end with the springs, 2 1/2 drop in the rear with the new shocks, the reach seat sat me another 2 inches down (less padding). Overall I am sitting a total of 4 inches lower than a stock bike.

JMHO but I think you will regret lowering it that much not only from the lowering standpoint but for the ride also.

A lot of negatives about being "inseam challenged"...I for one took the route similar to Merlyn and Slapp...early in my metric riding days I have had my share near and actual tip overs...and one has to do what one has to do to ride in a comfort zone with their passenger safety in mind. The key here is to lower as much as possible without bottoming suspension under heavy bumps or dragging hard parts in deep turns (usually canted on and off ramp sweepers) under firm braking or loaded conditions (when testing do solo with static loaded bike, aggressively in a controlled environ).

A few things I learned going thru this multiple times...do the majority of the lowering by seat and handlebar changes first...then work to lower BOTH the rear and front, usually an 1" or so at both ends at a time. One advantage is the fact that we generally weigh less, and with co-rider, the suspension sacks down an additional inch lower, only less suspension travel means stiffer progressive, stiffer lever/spring loading is needed (single shock setups can change lever linkage as well as springs which made things easier on metrics).

The front fork oil should be changed first, slightly thicker fork oil (from 5W standard to 7.5W to start, and shorter progressive dual coil springs and RaceTech Gold Valving (if option is available) added next Outback go with what other riders of your model usually opt for, i.e. shorter but stiffer Progressive or AirShocks (if you can afford 'em).

Yes, as Glider says, lowering kits mean greater likelyhood of bottoming out and rough ride, with plenty of negatives, but the alternative is road rash or unhappy co-rider. So do your due dilligence when lowering your bike to find out if you have cornering clearance or suspension issues, have them sorted before going on that 500 mile shakedown tour. Self preservation and honest effort to calm your riding partner fears are number one...and trumps just about everything we do to share our love of two wheeled sports. You are sold on HD...you have to sell it to your significant other or it is just another hobby you do on your own!

Last edited:
For glider and others, some folks have mentioned possible problems with lowering kits. I'm getting the HD kit front and back and from what I understand all I'm really doing is making a streetglide out of it as these are standard parts on that bike. i.e. that bike is lowered from the factory. Am I missing something? Besides I'm not impressed with how it handles now with a legal load and one passenger, so how can it be worse?

Last edited:
I rode the bike all weekend long, logged 463 miles just riding locally in and out of stop and go traffic along with some highway miles doing the 1000 mile break-in. The Electra Glide with Burley Slam kit rides like a dream. Smooth as glass the lovely Mrs. Slapp even loves it, claims she could fall asleep back there. My friend (who has an Ultra Classic) rode it and said other than being low it rides just as good as his. I have to say it is the best fitting bike I evered owned.

I have an '09 Street Glide and I used the new Progressive drop-in front lowering kit. Works like a charm, lowered my front 1 1/2", and I found it online for $109.00 (Phat performance parts). I bought a custom TIG welded lowering kit for the rear on ebay for about $60.oo. Easy to install and I lowered it 1". Just got back from Leesburg, and the ride was great, and the bike now handles excellent for me. I'm 5'7". I'm gonna have the stock seat shaved on the sides to pick up another 1" for my feet to plant firmly on the ground. May get the reach seat, had it on my '07 Street Glide, and only used it for trips. Great passenger seat on that reach seat. Hope this helps.

if you want to lower the back of an flhtcu fit flhx shocks, that will bring the back down bout an inch.

Back