free website stats program best way to break in new bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

best way to break in new bike

Does your manual also recommend keeping the revs at or below 3000? My buddy's '14 has a tach function in the digital read-out in the speedometer. That is a swell addition, wish my 08 Road King had that feature.

I would like to hear from some people who have bought a new bike....what do you feel is the best way to break one in...why do they want you to keep it under 50mph the first 500 miles just curious

this is getting interesting nice to hear the different opinions. I have kept mine under 50 so far but have kept the rpms up when riding around here in the country let it decelerate instead of braking sometimes

I just read your posts a bit more closely and have a question for you. What in the world does keeping the bike under a given SPEED have to do with breaking in the engine? Is that specifically what your Owner's Manual says? So if I ride my bike out of the showroom and never shift out of first or second gear but keep it below 50MPH, I'm in compliance with the MOCO break in procedure? I was always under the impression that a variety of RPM's was the best break in - avoiding long periods of time at a single engine speed if possible. Then I learned of the 30-60-30 method and that makes sense to me as well. I just don't think engine break in has anything to do with the speed of the vehicle over the road. Isn't it even possible to complete the engine break in with the bike on a dyno, technically travelling at 0 MPH?

Aaah - so many questions to ponder!

I really kinda thought that they wanted you to keep it under fifty first 500 miles in case something fell off on ya....lol

I just read your posts a bit more closely and have a question for you. What in the world does keeping the bike under a given SPEED have to do with breaking in the engine? Is that specifically what your Owner's Manual says? So if I ride my bike out of the showroom and never shift out of first or second gear but keep it below 50MPH, I'm in compliance with the MOCO break in procedure? I was always under the impression that a variety of RPM's was the best break in - avoiding long periods of time at a single engine speed if possible. Then I learned of the 30-60-30 method and that makes sense to me as well. I just don't think engine break in has anything to do with the speed of the vehicle over the road. Isn't it even possible to complete the engine break in with the bike on a dyno, technically travelling at 0 MPH?

Aaah - so many questions to ponder!

Doc you make a lot of good points. As I understand the "break in" period, it has to do with the motor going thru several heat cycles. The heat causes the rings to shape (wear) into the cylinder walls. So your statement that the break in could be done on a dyno makes sense to me. I've also been told that during the break in it is not good to hold the motor at a single speed for long periods.

I had a 08 Road King that I broke in driving normally.Drove it 70+ with less than 500 miles on it.had 23000 when I traded for a 2012 Limited.I still feel that that bike outperformed My later bike.It was easy to pull a wheelie shifting to second gear.Couldn't do that with the 103 with sert and stage 1.I am assuming because of weight of the fairing.
I will try the 30-60-30 idea with My 2014.Not sure how much I will "baby it" during first 500.Time will tell.I will know in 9days!

New bikes are delivered with a "broken" in motor; they are run up at the factory before delivery to check for leaks and/or strange noises. Ring seal is the issue post delivery and ring seal requires heat and pressure. Good ring seal can be accomplished on a dyno or on the road in less than 50 miles. The 30-60-30 (third gear) will get the job done. Once reing seal has been achieved, one can ride the bike pretty much any way one wants. Having said that, one should not make a habit of bumping the rev limiter, not only for the first few hundred miles but bumping the rev limiter is not a good idea period; the motor just doesn't like that.:small3d012:

Back