free website stats program Best lookin AC ?? FLHRC | Harley Davidson Forums

Best lookin AC ?? FLHRC

SunCruise

Banned
Anyone have a SS teardrop ? Do they stick out further than the stock cover ?
How about a Doherty ? Got round ? oval ? other ? Big Sucker, little sucker lol ..Are ya hidin it behind the football or showing it off ?
Putting together my stage 1 and today I'm thinking maybe choosing the AC would be easier than the exhaust search:dknow Which one did you pick and why ? SC

I've always felt the S&S a/c cover was the ugliest thing a person could ever put on a bike. That's just me. I've always like the stock ones HD had. I kept the same round cover my 89 FLST had and am keeping the football on my 09 FLHRC. Some of the aftermarket ones are sure neat though.

Also, there's the option of crafting your own - alot of riders do this & then your a/c's unique...

In most cases, stage-1 a/c will stick out more than stock so you might need floor-board extensions. I had to move mine out 1" when adding LA Choppers xXx breather.

Good luck w/the search.

Hey, the "tear drop" cover is one look I like...a bit "old style" but it works for me. Not as "ugly" as the big football stocker, but that is only because I take the "minimalist" approach, yet like the chrome. Open air filter element designs like the HD Heavy Breather do have a performance advantage, and angle away from the rider so the knees don't hit it...but the pink element does take getting used to...:D

Actually I have the cover installed with longer spacers and thicker and taller element so there is a 1/2" clearance on the perimeter...so it flows even more air...

KuryakinMiniWings.jpg

If you want to keep the stocker...carefully cut and finish the cover back about an 1" and it still has the *bling* using the stock element, or replace element with a K&N you will be happy.

tn182s3.jpg

Last edited:
S & S pioneered the teardrop and tho not the prettiest out there it is a high flow cover and filter assembly

Also, there's the option of crafting your own - alot of riders do this & then your a/c's unique...

In most cases, stage-1 a/c will stick out more than stock so you might need floor-board extensions. I had to move mine out 1" when adding LA Choppers xXx breather.

Good luck w/the search.

Food for thought...craft my own..hmmm. I enjoy this forum almost as much as riding. I'm actually crafting my own frame cover to go with my solo seat but not posting that till it's done. S&S ugly ? (Kinda referring to all posts) ...never thought of it like that but okay. My friend yrs ago had a 71 sporty (old school ?) with a SS. Kinda gave it that Hot Rod look. Probably not where Im going with a "touring Classic" but I kinda like it. Moving on... Heavy Breather..got pics ? will have to look into this. I Like the HD nostalgic oval or round. Don"t like totally smooth rounds cuz they look like fire alarms to me. Stage 1 leads to floor board extensions ? :yeahright Don't think I wan't that (gees the snowball gets bigger as it rolls). Read that the SE requires removing a EFI "support bracket" whereas the Big Sucker does not ?? Pink..Blue.. again the hot rod look with a totally open filter and yes there are some neat ones. Okay narrowing things down..Stage 1 classic looking that does not stick out farther than stock ??
SC

function before stlye my friend.....i'm running a big sucker with stock cover. look at it this way you have a Harley Davidson.......U GOT STYLE COVERED lol

function before stlye my friend.....i'm running a big sucker with stock cover. look at it this way you have a Harley Davidson.......U GOT STYLE COVERED lol

Good point !!
Will a K&N filter fit a Ness Big Sucker ?? Seems there are those who have one form or another using a K&N filter with a Stock cover (so the real choice was the backing plate). Is a K&N filter that much better than the one that comes with a Stage 1 AC kit of another brand? Also..if the stock cover fits on a BS'r.. will other brand covers fit it too? ...like SE or ones that fit SE ? Think I've decided on the Big Sucker with stock or HD cover either way.
Ness site has Stainless filter/chrome back 170. (and clear oil) If any of the above possibilities apply I may not want a pink filter showing. Thanks to all for your help. SC

Plenty of choices here...take a look at Post #5 and then take a look at

HD Big Sucker...
tn532s3.jpg

HD Heavy Breather
tn533s3.jpg

Kuryakyn
tn530s3.jpg

Last edited:
Back