free website stats program Best Harley mechanic training schools? | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Harley mechanic training schools?

To any bonified honest to goodness Harley mechanics out there; Where did you learn your trade? Recently applied to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Orlando, Fl. Starting classes in november to get my '36 to present certification. Does anyone have any experience with this place? It looks and sounds great to me, other than the price of tuition. Wish me luck.

Best of luck to you!

Let me know when you finish and open your own shop in Woodstock.

:cheers

To any bonified honest to goodness Harley mechanics out there; Where did you learn your trade? Recently applied to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Orlando, Fl. Starting classes in november to get my '36 to present certification. Does anyone have any experience with this place? It looks and sounds great to me, other than the price of tuition. Wish me luck.

Good Luck, have a good friend who went to the Arizona course, intense:s

On the subject of MMI, I have a good friend that attended the Phoenix, AZ campus. From knowing him, I have also met a former MMI instructor, Johnny Goodson, who now has an independent shop here in Phoenix, AZ. This former MMI instructor was also the Head Mechanic/Shop Manager for Russell Mitchell of Exile Cycles fame.

:: e x i l e ::

MMI is where Johnny got his start. Visit his website and read the “411” (info page) see for yourself. I think you can conclude from seeing what Johnny has done that MMI was a wise choice.

Johnny's web page is below...

Insane Custom Cycles

Whatever maintenance and repairs I wouldn't do myself these two MMI grads (and friends) have my confidence.

Very good schools, they have a very strict attendance policy, well its your money any way, I know a friend who went thru it with his girl friend, she missed too many classes and u get the picture, I wish all who try to better themselves luck and a big pat on the back, Knowledge is power only if it is used:s

Thanks for the info guys, I think it will be money well spent. As far a opening a shop in Woodstock, I think it may get crouded here, theres already 2 custom cycle shops in this small town, both within a mile or two from my house.

Thanks for the info guys, I think it will be money well spent. As far a opening a shop in Woodstock, I think it may get crouded here, theres already 2 custom cycle shops in this small town, both within a mile or two from my house.

Good Luck and make us proud:D

Only knew guys who attended MMI, they were very enthusiastic and seemed to know their stuff. But having the technical knowledge and then the business management skills to start your own shop/business is a TOTALLY different thing. As Jack says, knowledge is power, and any specialty/trade school is a good thing.

I would PM some of our members who have started/run their own business and get some tips...Zoood and Chopper come to mind, but there are certainly many others. Could even start a thread, what were your biggest challenges to make a successful motorcycling related business. Obviously, this is the type of Q & A's that are a work in progress, but I would think having friends or venture capitalist partners would be key. Maybe affiliate with key figures in your area that could help you make an impact and such. Good technical prowess and ideas are the seed, but funding with savvy business sense and execution takes networking experience and sound commitment from financial support group, friends and family to be successful.

Back