free website stats program Best Engine For Custom Project. | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Engine For Custom Project.

M' one.

I'm intending to put together a hardtail custom next year, general idea so far is something with a 2" stretch on the down tubes, springer front end and I want to base it around the Sporster engine; but here's the difficult part - I want a 4 speed box with kick start and a magneto ignition system. I'm currently looking, on ebay, etc, for an Ironhead but I don't have enough knowledge as to which varient would be most suitable, anyone out there who's done a similar project or has any advice, I'd welcome their input.

...general idea so far is something with a 2" stretch on the down tubes, springer front end...
I think you'll have fun trying to find this alone:s

Good luck with your project and keep us posted on the progress.

Some pics as it progresses would be nice too.

Quite a few '70 s Ironheads showing up in the U.K. at the moment, as you probably know they have a integral gearbox but I reckon I can remove this and weld a blank back on so as I have an "isolated" power unit. I think pre 1970 the Ironhead did have a 4 speed with a kicker but these are hard to get, the magneto system I've done on other bikes so I assume its possible on the Ironhead.

Put a shovelhead in it... You can get them from many places on-line... Pre-built, pre-test...

Same for the tranny...

I have thought of going that route and your not the first to suggest that, it certainly simplifies things a great deal but theres something challenging about using the Ironhead and tailoring it to suit, in the end it might'nt be possible but if I could do it I think it would be unique.

Back