free website stats program Best Dyna to restore | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Dyna to restore

Merlynn

I want to find a Dyna to restore. Looking for a carborated engine, kickstart, Backstory is my first Harley was a sportster, then moved into touring bikes. currently have an 09 Ultra which i use for long distance touring, running errands and everything in between. I like wrenching and have always liked the looks of the Dyna series. So, in your opinion, what be your classic Dyna to bring back to glory. besides looks, other factors are price, reliability, parts availability, ease of maintenance, and so on. The purpose of this project would be to learn more about Harley motorcycle maintenance and have an old school classic for weekend jaunts around town when im done. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
WAP.gif

By what you have stated I would stick with an 84 or older.
In 1985 they were changing over to the evo and they are a bad mix of shovel and evo.JMO

I think the Dyna line started in 1991 and that has a rubber mount engine but no kick start has the evo big twin 1340cc engine
some parts for the earlier models are getting impossible to get especially on the wide glide as it has some items that are only on it

Brian

I don't think 1991 is the right year Brian.
I had one of the 1985 Wide Glides,in my earlier post I was talking from experience.:lolrolling
My 1993 FXRS-CONV. is a fine bike and I would say if someone could find one of them in need of restoration it would be worth the trouble.
Mine is pristine with 19,000 orig. miles and factory paint.

I don't think 1991 is the right year Brian.
I had one of the 1985 Wide Glides,in my earlier post I was talking from experience.:lolrolling
My 1993 FXRS-CONV. is a fine bike and I would say if someone could find one of them in need of restoration it would be worth the trouble.
Mine is pristine with 19,000 orig. miles and factory paint.

Steve I didn't know that the FXR was considered a Dana, just shows what I don't know about Harley models. I think you are spot on as the FXR was IMO one of the best looking and handling bikes Harley ever made. In '91 when the MOCO discontinued the FXR platform and introduced the Dyna line I think the frame was changed. Fin I was also unaware of the problems getting parts for the Dyna wide glide, thanks for the heads up. How about parts for the Dyna Low?

They had several Low Rider and FX "Glide" models with a similar frame prior to the 1991 Dyna Glide line, but they were not rubber mounted. The '91 Sturgis was the first rubber mounted, rectangular backbone Dyna Glide. FXR and Dyna are totally different frames, and both models were produced from '91-'94. There were limited edition CVO FXR's offered for 2 years in the late 90's.
No five speeds were offered with kickstart.

Last edited:
I think everyone has given some great insight into the different Harley models. How about the OP question as to which model will fit his criteria and what model you think would be the most fun to put up on the lift and work on?

Back