free website stats program Best CCA battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Best CCA battery

mnkymn1

I'm looking for the highest rated, best battery i can find....I know that (typically) CCA's are measured at 32 degrees F but which bettery is rated the highest and performs the best in VERY cold temps? I have looked at the oddysey and big boar and scorpion...just not sure

Modern batteries are designed with the highest plate density as possible with minimum amount of electrolyte...what this means is the tiny bit of water can be boiled off, hence the "water conserving" technology is "all the stir" (in the lead acid battery industry). Advantage, higher power delivery (desnser plates), more concentrated electrolyte (less water manintenance needed)...downside if battery discharges very low...water concentration is up...now prone to freezing AND much less CCA when cold...the worst case for battery operation. For best results, a fully charged battery deilivers best overall performance with no downside. This is why we recommend a Battery Tender to keep surface charge up.

I'm looking for the highest rated, best battery i can find.... and performs the best in VERY cold temps?

Man, You must be a Navy Seal or a Marine to be riding in below freezing weather. Low 50's and I am heading indoors!....

I'm looking for the highest rated, best battery i can find....I know that (typically) CCA's are measured at 32 degrees F but which bettery is rated the highest and performs the best in VERY cold temps? I have looked at the oddysey and big boar and scorpion...just not sure
East Penn Mfg. Co. claims to be supplier of HD oem batteries. They sell one under the "Deka" brand that might be a few $ cheaper than the dealer.

Never had a problem with H D batteries, I do know Sears batteries are not up to the test

FYI, the battery for my Sportster DOES NOT have an exact replacement in the aftermarket brands like Odessey...but the good news is HD Battery does use latest Electrolyte Conserving Technology, packaging high density plates with thin separator design in thin plastic case [basically all the elements of modern batteries by Yuasa (probably their OEM maker) and others].

Like Smitty & Jack K stated, the HD Battery works just fine...just remember to use a Battery Tender to keep the surface charge up...you will do fine, even well below freezing. Keep in mind, that you may want to put a switch in (or cutout relay) to keep the headlight OFF during cranking...every little bit of parallel current lost to non essential accessories is taking away from the CCA reserve of the battery when starting.

I bet if you cover the bike with blanket (or bike cover) :newsmile078::small3d009:and put a drop light next to the motor it will keep the motor warm enough to start.

Last battery I bought was a HD battery, almost bought a Die Hard, I guess im glad I didnt, Anybody know who makes the battery for HD?

Back