free website stats program Best bike route from Indianapolis to Milwaukee | Harley Davidson Forums

Best bike route from Indianapolis to Milwaukee

Big Dot

Six of us are planning to make the trip from Lexington, KY to the Harley anniversary in Milwaukee on the 26th of Aug. I've heard bad stories about the interstates and traffic near Chicago. I would appreciate any info as to the best route and welcome anyone to join or lead from Indianapolis onward.
Thanks

You will find that Smitty's route is the best. Even if you do go around Chicago on 294, you will be greeted by stop and go from the junction of 94 and 294 (on the north side of Chicago) nearly all the way to the Wisconsin border.

As an added benefit, the Illinois Tollway system now charges visitors that do not have the "I-Pass" automatic toll paying gizmo double. So you can pay more and sit more, not to mention the entertaiment value of dodging the huge occasional pothole!

Last edited:
You will find that Smitty's route is the best. Even if you do go around Chicago on 294, you will be greeted by stop and go from the junction of 94 and 294 (on the north side of Chicago) nearly all the way to the Wisconsin border.

As an added benefit, the Illinois Tollway system now charges visitors that do not have the "I-Pass" automatic toll paying gizmo double. So you can pay more and sit more, not to mention the entertaiment value of dodging the huge occasional pothole!

Hey guys, I appreciate the info, I do have another question. Wouldn't I have a better ride if I took 74 out of Indianapolis rather than 65?

Big Dot;

I have heard that 65 is undergoing a lot of construction, but I have not traveled it lately to confirm. Keep in mind that going 74 to 39 north to 41 will add a bunch of miles, mostly looking at corn fields.

Maybe someone could comment about the state of repair for Interstate 65???

I think with the info I've gathered my route will be 74 from Indianapolis to 39 at Bloomington, then 43 near Rockford into Milwaukee. It adds 116 miles to the Chicago route but I think it will be worth it. Maybe this will help some other bikers too. Thanks again.

I think with the info I've gathered my route will be 74 from Indianapolis to 39 at Bloomington, then 43 near Rockford into Milwaukee. It adds 116 miles to the Chicago route but I think it will be worth it. Maybe this will help some other bikers too. Thanks again.

Big Dot -- You and your crew just be careful going to and coming from !! Take a pic or two if you can of your journey and while in Milwaukee!!! Would like to hear how your trip went!!!

Will do. I don't think the trip will be as bad as some of my trucker friends suggest. We're in no big rush, might have to take few R&R breaks.

Back