free website stats program best bike insurance most people use?? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

best bike insurance most people use??

You are going to find good and bad claim stories on every insurance company; some are legit and some are not. One good indicator of how you may be treated are to check JD Powers ratings, and complaint records with your state's insurance department.

When comparing rates, just make sure you are comparing "apples to apples". Some of the less expensive poicies may not provide as much coverage. Also, most companies will provide discounts on other policies when you have all your vehicles and home insured with them. You may want to consider that as well.

I respect TXMikey's insurance knoledge when it comes to policy and coverage..He works for 1 and know the in's and outs when it comes to policy.

As a repairer, I am more familiar with who is easier to work with.Proggresive is dead last in my book.Here's a couple of things to consider when insuring your ride.

1.Are you signing up for a DRP (Direct Repair Program) ?
Most insurance companys that have DRP "Proggresive" are trying to streamline the repair proccess by locking shops into agreements as to time of repair/used or aftermarket parts/shaving materials etc..

They back this up with college grads who dont know what a dipstick is to argue repair procedures.In 20 years of doing body work, I saw my 1st estimate for a used qrt. panel on car "Progressive"!They wanted us to cut a completely welded on qrt. panel off a junk yard car (in New England) and reweld it on to a customers vehicle.

Do yourself a favor,if you're in a state that offers the "Right to Repair" act, take advantage of it and bring your vehicle to the shop of your choice (avoid the 1 they give you over the phone).A shop that will fight for a quality repair.

Enough of the rant on poor insurance policy.In the end its more about how YOU are educated than which company you select.

2.If you ride a bike and dont have at minimum..100/300,(I opted for 500k)optionaly bodily injury?uninsured motorist ?(own a house?)better look into an umbrella policy.Things can go WAY WRONG very fast on a bike.

From what I've read so far Id say everyone who has chimed in so far is grossly underinsured (this is where TXMikeys explanation of an umbrella policey would be greatly appreciated).

From what I've read so far Id say everyone who has chimed in so far is grossly underinsured

After that assumption, who do you use?

Bodeen

From what I've read so far Id say everyone who has chimed in so far is grossly underinsured

After that assumption, who do you use?

Bodeen

I am insured by Commerce.However I am aware my state gives me the right to send my vehicle to ANY SHOP I choose.

I respect TXMikey's insurance knoledge when it comes to policy and coverage..He works for 1 and know the in's and outs when it comes to policy.

As a repairer, I am more familiar with who is easier to work with.
Enough of the rant on poor insurance policy.In the end its more about how YOU are educated than which company you select.

2.If you ride a bike and dont have at minimum..100/300,(I opted for 500k)optionaly bodily injury?uninsured motorist ?(own a house?)better look into an umbrella policy.Things can go WAY WRONG very fast on a bike.

From what I've read so far Id say everyone who has chimed in so far is grossly underinsured (this is where TXMikeys explanation of an umbrella policey would be greatly appreciated).

WhatYardWork has some excellent points about preferred provider programs. The company I work for has a preferred provider program, but the customer still has the choice of using whatever repair shop they want to use. Of course, there are added benefits to using a preferred provider such as warranties on the repairs.

Most umbrella policies (also known as PLUPS, or personal liability umbrella policies) actually provide you with extra liability coverage, but not uninsured motorist coverage. They have requirements for minimum underlying liability limits such as 100/300 or 250/500, but will provide $1 million or more coverage.

If you carry the minimum required by your state, you really are taking a pretty big gamble. In Texas, the state-required minimum is 25/50/25, which is $25,000 bodily injury liability per person, $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident, and $25,000 property damage liability per accident. Think about how much your last new car or new Harley cost. I'm guessing if it was in the past 5 years or so, it was $20,000.00 or more. What if, heaven forbid, you have a lapse in concentration and cause an accident that totals out 2 other cars. If each of them is worth $20,000, and you only have $25,000 in coverage, the other person's insurance company is going to come after you for the remaining $15,000.

I handle auto insurance claims that involve injuries, including fatalities and serious injuries. We see a lot of 25/50 policies that are totally inadequate to protect our insured's responsibility. I can't tell you how difficult it is to tell someone that you are sorry for the loss of a loved one, but you only have $25,000 you can pay them. The last several motorcycle accidents I saw where the rider wasn't killed had medical bills well over $100,000. That doesn't include lost wages from their not being able to work for several months.

To make things even worse, some states only require 10/20 limits.

I had a claim with Progressive on my Yamaha Roadstar. I had a check the day after the accident, which was my down payment for my Road King. I'll stay with Progressive

Well put txmickey 100\300 is amust for me. Uninsured and underinsured is to protect you. How many people u know that dont have any insurance, my friend found one few years back.totaled the bike put him out of commission for a while.
He was glad he had the good insurance.just a thought here for you. Sorry bought the big print easier for me to see. Lol

thanks to all replies, i have learned alot and hope most of you did too. progressive will be my choice.

WhatYardWork has some excellent points about preferred provider programs. The company I work for has a preferred provider program, but the customer still has the choice of using whatever repair shop they want to use. Of course, there are added benefits to using a preferred provider such as warranties on the repairs.

Most umbrella policies (also known as PLUPS, or personal liability umbrella policies) actually provide you with extra liability coverage, but not uninsured motorist coverage. They have requirements for minimum underlying liability limits such as 100/300 or 250/500, but will provide $1 million or more coverage.

If you carry the minimum required by your state, you really are taking a pretty big gamble. In Texas, the state-required minimum is 25/50/25, which is $25,000 bodily injury liability per person, $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident, and $25,000 property damage liability per accident. Think about how much your last new car or new Harley cost. I'm guessing if it was in the past 5 years or so, it was $20,000.00 or more. What if, heaven forbid, you have a lapse in concentration and cause an accident that totals out 2 other cars. If each of them is worth $20,000, and you only have $25,000 in coverage, the other person's insurance company is going to come after you for the remaining $15,000.

I handle auto insurance claims that involve injuries, including fatalities and serious injuries. We see a lot of 25/50 policies that are totally inadequate to protect our insured's responsibility. I can't tell you how difficult it is to tell someone that you are sorry for the loss of a loved one, but you only have $25,000 you can pay them. The last several motorcycle accidents I saw where the rider wasn't killed had medical bills well over $100,000. That doesn't include lost wages from their not being able to work for several months.

To make things even worse, some states only require 10/20 limits.

Only $100 bucks a year difference from basic 20k/40k to 250k/500k coverage on my policy.My umbrella works out to $80 on my 3 vehicles.

In the end, you can be cheep, or safe.

Back