best air filter

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by sporty08, Apr 17, 2011.

1. sporty08

sporty08 New Member

what's the best replacement air filter? horsepower gain.

2. ultra...good

ultra...good Banned

The best filter for horsepower is ths least restictive one that you can find.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Very good answer and I would add K N or equivalent washable and re useable better filter media better made IMO

4. ultra...good

ultra...good Banned

That was just such an open ended question and there are so many variables that encompass it. Do you have a large budget? Are you mechanically inclined or do you want something easy to install? I am in the process of tuning an old ironhead right now. I am using an old Keihin Screamin Eagle carb, and I just ordered a k&n for it. I will have to do a little machining to get it to fit, but no big deal for me. I also have to do a little machining because under the a/c cover, I am also trying to fit a velocity stack in there. Add that to the screwing around with the timing, and gradually cutting an inch or so off of my exhaust collector, and I spend more time working on the bike then I do test riding it. But, that is what I like to do, so bring it on!!! On a side note, all the little tweaking here and there brought up a new problem for me. I thought that my clutch was slipping til the other day when I got on it and I must have been sitting further back because it turns out that my clutch was not slipping, my tire was. I must have been sitting further back, or maybe it was warmer and the tire grabbed better, up came that front end. Everybody has problems though, right?

Attached Files:

5. Jack Klarich

Everybody has problems though, right? Yep that is why we are here to share and learn:s

6. ultra...good

ultra...good Banned

In all honesty, the back tire spinning, and the front end coming up were the two problems that I was looking for. Now that I have them, I am going to gear it up a bit, and try to "have" that same problem find me again.

7. Jack Klarich

HMMM sounds like you do not have any power problems here:s

8. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

On my 1200 06 sport R.
    I installed a Arleness Big Sucker.. Had the alum. back plate crack out around one of the bottom (bolt to carb) areas... I Just Bought another Full Unit from arleness and kept the Old back plate for a wall hanger... That gives me a spare filter..

I have the Large Round Ness 8" chrome cover over the air filter.. Looks great and it Does Suck Air....

I always llike to Joke when asked about the arleness unit....

I always reply "The Biggest Suck I ever Heard from my arleness is when my Wallet was Opened".. :lolrolling

signed....BUBBIE

9. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Take a look at HD's SE heavy breather - I say it ranks at the top...would have it on my sporty...If I still owned one. :(

10. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Use the search function at the top of the page. Should bring back enough info for you to read for days.

Bodeen