free website stats program Bent Exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

Bent Exhaust

Schuey

Hi ya,

Need some help, I came off my Nightster on the way to work yesterday, black ice on a roundabout at low speed. Some people stopped and helped get the bike off me. I managed to ride her home, but then noticed that the bottom exhaust (Vance & Hines Slip ons) had been damaged and pushed out of alignment. Any of you good people got any idea what the likely problem is with the exhaust, I have tried pulling it straight, but it will not budge.

Thanks for your help:newsmile08:

is there a mounting bracket that got bent, you might have to take it off the bike to straighten, glad you're alright, the bike can be fixed.

schuey; Glad you're ok, and proud of you riding in freezing weather. I'm not at all familiar with rubber mount sportsters, but most Harleys have a well concealed bracket (like Chopper mentioned) holding both mufflers in align. Sometimes, all that is required is to loosen ALL of the exhaust mounts and couplings and tweek them back to straight. Give that a go.

Thanks Guys, I will have a closer look at the weekend, to try and see what,s what. Hopefully it's a bent bracket, that can be straightened. It's just when you see your pride and joy on it's side and then find something bent you panic. Bloody weather, bring on the sun.

Hey Bro, glad you're ok, the scoot can be fixed, as we get older it takes longer for us to heal....be safe and good luck with the pipes.
Bill

Not to worry, you are OK and the bike can be fixed. If you haven't dropped your bike yet don't worry, you will.

if there slip on's be careful as they mount to the stock crossover pipe that lurks under the pipes , if thats bent it may not come back to straight without a bit of heat be careful forcing it as it may snap

Schuey glad your okay! As Hobbit says, the newer bikes have black exhaust heavy guage crossover pipe welded to mounting brackets that is pretty robust and "hidden" low and behind the nice chrome light guage outer pipes.:s

DSCN0823.jpg

Likely you will not be able to bend them back without breaking or mangling without heat, so diismount first. :newsmile055:

Last edited:
Once again, thanks for the advice and comments, just wish I bounced like I did when I was younger, I know one thing though, <EDIT> glad I joined this site

Cheers:s

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back