free website stats program Bent Brake Rotor | Harley Davidson Forums

Bent Brake Rotor

mc2

Contributor
I suspect my front rotor was bent while changing the tire. A slight groan was noticed when coming to a stop, and lifting the front end to spin the wheel, it does slow in one spot.
This was done on a quick return to Nha Trang VN, ride 250 miles to Saigon to store it and catch a plane to Laos. I'll be returning to ride the bike about 800 miles Saigon to Vientiane, Lao, soon I hope.
It would be 'challenging' to get a rotor on short notice, carry the few tools (torque wrench) on the plane and find a place to do the repair in Saigon.
Since the rotor must be replaced anyway, pads likely also, is there any hidden danger I am unaware of in ridding as is?
Thanks.

Depending on how bad it's bent with only one disc up front it could be very hard to stop the bike. Bent bad enough and the front end will get very unstable while braking. In any event I would not reccommend any panic stops.

These are very hard or impossible to straighten by hand. I took one to a machine shop and they couldn't straighten it. Be careful !

It's not worth trying to straighten these rotors. Just replace it with a floating rotor and be done with it.

Next to impossible to ever get runout right, replace it and ride:p

As been said already, when runout of a rotor is in thousandth, bent is pretty severe and NOT recommended for hardened, heat treated or tempered parts, and the part is $150 or so...! :newsmile061:

Rework would generally require heating part (which anneals or softens the metal for reworking), reforming. then re-heat treating and refinishing to stil maintain tight tolerances...certainly not recommended for something like a brake disc (safety item).:newsmile055:

As been said already, when runout of a rotor is in thousandth, bent is pretty severe and NOT recommended for hardened, heat treated or tempered parts, and the part is $150 or so...! :newsmile061:

Rework would generally require heating part (which anneals or softens the metal for reworking), reforming. then re-heat treating and refinishing to stil maintain tight tolerances...certainly not recommended for something like a brake disc (safety item).:newsmile055:

NewHD FAN is more than right here and the equipment and runout gauges and possible re machining of said rotor is not worth it and a big gamble. I have all these tools and equipment I know how expensive and labor intense this would be and a safety issue too JMO:D

ive done it before it may not be perfectly straight but will be better than nothing, as your trying to get out of a bind. if it was bent getting the tyre fitted it may be more of an issue to leave it, if ya cant get a new one on id be trying a shifter to tweak it. the rotor may get hot and warp to the point of binding in the caliper if its rubbing enough

Back