Bent Brake Rotor

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by mc2, May 8, 2010.

1. mc2

mc2 Active Member Contributor

I suspect my front rotor was bent while changing the tire. A slight groan was noticed when coming to a stop, and lifting the front end to spin the wheel, it does slow in one spot.
    This was done on a quick return to Nha Trang VN, ride 250 miles to Saigon to store it and catch a plane to Laos. I'll be returning to ride the bike about 800 miles Saigon to Vientiane, Lao, soon I hope.
    It would be 'challenging' to get a rotor on short notice, carry the few tools (torque wrench) on the plane and find a place to do the repair in Saigon.
    Since the rotor must be replaced anyway, pads likely also, is there any hidden danger I am unaware of in ridding as is?
    Thanks.

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Depending on how bad it's bent with only one disc up front it could be very hard to stop the bike. Bent bad enough and the front end will get very unstable while braking. In any event I would not reccommend any panic stops.

3. rancid

rancid Active Member

work out where the bend is then tweak it with a shifting spanner

4. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

These are very hard or impossible to straighten by hand. I took one to a machine shop and they couldn't straighten it. Be careful !

5. cromedome

cromedome Active Member

Big hydraulic press with proper size plates may do it.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

It's not worth trying to straighten these rotors. Just replace it with a floating rotor and be done with it.

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Next to impossible to ever get runout right, replace it and ride:p

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As been said already, when runout of a rotor is in thousandth, bent is pretty severe and NOT recommended for hardened, heat treated or tempered parts, and the part is $150 or so...! :newsmile061:

Rework would generally require heating part (which anneals or softens the metal for reworking), reforming. then re-heat treating and refinishing to stil maintain tight tolerances...certainly not recommended for something like a brake disc (safety item).:newsmile055:

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

NewHD FAN is more than right here and the equipment and runout gauges and possible re machining of said rotor is not worth it and a big gamble. I have all these tools and equipment I know how expensive and labor intense this would be and a safety issue too JMO:D

10. rancid

rancid Active Member

ive done it before it may not be perfectly straight but will be better than nothing, as your trying to get out of a bind. if it was bent getting the tyre fitted it may be more of an issue to leave it, if ya cant get a new one on id be trying a shifter to tweak it. the rotor may get hot and warp to the point of binding in the caliper if its rubbing enough