free website stats program Benefits Of Stock | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Benefits Of Stock

Mine is Stock. I have a 2005 Electra Glide Standard. The only thing I did to it was put a Oil Temp gauge, and Oil pressure gauge, Cruise Control, King Tour Pack, and Bag side rails. I do have a FI2000, and a K&N Air Filter. But everything else is stock. I got 63K on her now, and runs fine. Oh I did have the new front motor mount replaced. Seems to shake more, but really smooth on the highway.

Are you pre o2 sensors? I am thinking the break point was right around that time. (?)

All I seem to read about on forums is...................."Stage One.............what pipes do I need ?............What's the best set-up?................What's the best fuel processor?.........How loud are these slip-ons?, etc."

My question is this....................Are there ANY benefits to just leaving your bike STOCK? Or is this something that absolutely SHOULD be done?

So it seems like you're mainly asking about the air cleaner/fuel tuner/pipes right? There have been various threads about this. Some people have expressed the belief that you'll actually damage your engine if you keep riding it "showroom lean." I don't believe this for a second.

Now, there are several benefits to doing anything from just a fuel tuner to the full Stage I. Bike will run cooler if you simply can't stand the heat from a stock TC96. You can tailor the exhaust sound to whatever you desire. You will get slight improvement in performance but nothing compared to increasing the displacement or changing cams.

Bottom line, and it's been said many times, your bike - you decide. Don't just go out and throw money at a Stage I simply because everyone says you have to.

Me personally, I spend my money on comfort and safety items before even considering the Stage I stuff. What good is it having a Stage I bike that sounds and runs great but you can only stand riding it for 30 or 40 minutes? Money spent on the seat, handlebars, grips, backrest. highway pegs, better lighting, etc. will all pay off handsomely in the long run.

Thanks, guys! The main reason I'm considering the stage one is the heat issue.
I plan on keeping my bike a LONG time.......maybe forever(I'm almost 60)..........and want it to last as long as possible.

I have kept my bike fairly stock, just changed the air filter and put on a tts to cool it down a little, otherwise just added a few things for comfort

Had Rush mufflers for 1 1/2 years. One day after a ride I was tired, headache and ears ringing. I decided to reinstalled o.e. mufflers. Guess what: no ears ringing and able to ride additional 100 miles no problem and seem to be getting better fuel mileage and back tire is wearing slower. So I am actually enjoying riding more, and no more complaint from riding buddies to the noise. I have received compliments on my bike and when I ask why they tell because it is a quiet Harley. As to heat its seems only bad when in traffic so I try to stay off heavily traveled roads.

Thanks Tank,,

Then I would guess not one cell in the A/F map is in the 14's. Plus add to that a little less cu/in means a little less generated heat.

That just may be why it has been smooth sailing for tlyoungb.

All I know is my bike is like an Ocean Shark. Stop moving and you die.

I have had my 2009 for a year now and the only thing I've changed is the seat. :)

Maybe having almost 300 more cc's has something to do with the heat generated by the engine.
I still can remember the day I drove my 2009 home from the dealership. The engine was so lean, I could feel it fuel surging while just going along in 2nd gear at 3000 RPM. And while standing still at a long light, you could smell heat. Yes it was in the low 90's that day.

Maybe I am just too picky and want everything to ride and feel like it is a DC electric motor.. :p

I am on my third H-D bike. The first two were stage one out the door. This one is pure stock. Financial situation is the reason but I am still riding and enjoying every mile. Someday a stage one. Until then I will get from point A to B with a stock running bike. I love to ride so I consider myself fortunate.

Back