free website stats program bendix / zenith carb, acc. pump question | Harley Davidson Forums

bendix / zenith carb, acc. pump question

bullock01

I have a 38 mm bendix, butterfly valve and a zenith 40 mm butterfly vavle, going on a stock 72 flh. on the 40 mm zenith there is a smale hole in the bowl that goes into the acc. pump chamber. what is that for? question 2. there is no check ball under the acc pump jet, thought they had those, what is if anything. supposed to be under the acc. jet for the acc. pump. thanks in advance

I have a 38 mm bendix, butterfly valve and a zenith 40 mm butterfly vavle, going on a stock 72 flh. on the 40 mm zenith there is a smale hole in the bowl that goes into the acc. pump chamber. what is that for? question 2. there is no check ball under the acc pump jet, thought they had those, what is if anything. supposed to be under the acc. jet for the acc. pump. thanks in advance

Dan's Motorcycle Carburetors Pics here is an exploded view of a Bendix Carb, It has been a long time since I played with one of these, dont remember any check balls, What I do remember was drillind a small hole in the throttle plate for better idling:s

thanks jack, i think after further research, talkin to zenith carb in bristal va. both carbs are 38 mm, they still make rebuild kits. gonnaa get one on monday, no check ball in ass. pump chamber. but the older carb has a needle under the nozzle. I will learn all I can when I talk to the tech on monday at zenith. and post what i learn, and best ways to make the carb better, example lubing shafts with lube, anybody who knows anything about these carbs will be greatly appreciated. I am on a kick where i AM PUTTING MY 72 FLH SHOVEL COMPLETELY BACK STOCK. Only harley and parts used by harley, crazy I know

My 72 FX has that carb. Works well, but I've had to clean it a few times...since installed inline fuel filter. When I'm cleaning it, I pull out the little brass jet and run a wire (something small that won't open up the size of the hole) through it, and then blow air through it. Then, I put it back in, plug that little hole (that you mentioned) with my thumb and blow air into the part where the accelerator pump sits.

My stock manual shows a diagram of that carb, as well as a couple others (the manual was for FX and FL models.) I've considered installing a Super E on it, but I don't want to give up my internal throttle cable/split handlebar set-up...so I leave it stock.

Back