free website stats program Bendix issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Bendix issue

FX wide glide

Good day people.
I have just bought a 1983 FXWG 1340 Shovel Head. Went to start it, and the bendix flew apart inside and when I opened it up, some pins and small springs fell out. Does anyone have a diagram of how all that goes back together?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day people.
I have just bought a 1983 FXWG 1340 Shovel Head. Went to start it, and the bendix flew apart inside and when I opened it up, some pins and small springs fell out. Does anyone have a diagram of how all that goes back together?
Thanks.

Harley Davidson Forums Self help section, lots of info there:D

Welcome from So. Texas. If you are talking about the starter drive it is non rebuild-able. That's item #17 in CAPITAL JACK'S link. It's called a Starter Drive in HD parts manual.
tourbox

Thanks. Yes, that's what came apart on me. It has 5 springs, 5 roller pins and 2 half round plates that are for it. After a closer look I am hoping I can pull the starter, starter solenoid and get it back together enough to get it started and put away for the season.

You can pull the starter jack shaft out without removing the starter.Be sure and disconnect the Neg. cable off the Battery first. Referring back to
CAPITAL JACK link,item #7(shift lever) you can take a pair of Long Needle Nose pliers, or a screw driver, and bend the 2 tabs out of the shifter collar #18. It's like a little pulley. Then just wiggle the entire shaft out of the starter housing past the clutch hub/ring gear. The nut.#19, on the end of the jack shaft is left handed threads. I usually clamp the unit in a vice to take the nut off. Be sure and bend the tabs back in place when replacing unit.
tourbox

Back