free website stats program Belts and chains | Harley Davidson Forums

Belts and chains

kemo

R.I.P
Have noticed that guys that run an open belt primary use a chain for final drive, and have you noticed that we who use a belt for final drive use a chain for the primary.I think that we are never satisfied with what we got.
kemo

Sorry kemo but im happy with mine the way it was made at the factory in 1992 it seems to work well for me
although id be happy with a chain final drive would be esier to replace a chain than a belt but it would have to be done far more often but then id need to change the sprockets every second chain and that would be a pest

och i like my bike the way it is for now

Brian

Have noticed that guys that run an open belt primary use a chain for final drive, and have you noticed that we who use a belt for final drive use a chain for the primary.I think that we are never satisfied with what we got.
kemo

I agree kemo; Most of the new cars and trucks come from the factory with great looking wheels (Harley's too), but there's still a big aftermarket demand for custom wheels. Whatever came stock isn't cool enough. That's why it's called "disposable" income. :p

Hi
I am switching to sprockets and chain for various reasons... tire clearance, cost, old school look, ease of roadside maintenance etc...years ago thats all I ever had was a chain drive...anyhow...do you know the sprocket counts I need to replace my pulleys to maintain the same stock gear ratios.
Thanks
pat

Glider...I just want to run the number by you to see if I am on the right track...my pulley sizes are 61/32 = ratio of 1.9. I wanted to go with 66/32 = 2.06 to lower my highway rpm. So looking at the chain coversion table...it looks like 50/23 tooth sprockets will give me the 2.06 ratio I am looking for???
For me...nothing is ever that simple.
pat

Back