free website stats program Belt tension Spec 09 | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt tension Spec 09

Buster

Has anybody got the belt tension spec on an 09 SG with the isolated drive system or is it the same as any of the older models?

Call me crazy but I no longer go by the spec in the service manual. On my FXDL, when set it to the factory spec of 1/4" @ 10 psi, it is way to tight in my opinion. I have never seen in my life ANY belt be as tight as the spec on my bike. To me it is unnecessary and causes too many side effect problems.

I no longer run the spec the service manual calls for. It made a huge difference in the way the bike feels & rides. Time will tell if I am wrong. One thing for sure,,, I will admit it.

+1 Hoople. I've seen too many inner primary bearing failures due to a very tight drive belt. The factory spec says to adjust cold, but the pulleys expand when hot. I run the bike for about 20 miles, and let the pulleys expand (the belt doesn't). Then I adjust the belt to 3/8"-7/16" @ 10 psi while hot. YMMV.

Thorns

Thorns, How long have you been running yours like that. I am running 7/16 to 1/2" when hot.

The ENTIRE bike feels better to me. Before it felt like the drive train was in a straight jacket.

I Really like the new feel.

Hoop, I ran a 07 Road King for 47,295 miles like that...And now, a 2010 RK with 5k on it. I don't do burn outs or beat my bike to death. It works.

Thorns

Ok, let me clearify what I mean and that may help. I need to see if the book itself calls for a different belt tension between say an 09 and an 07, one without the rear pulley isolator. I have always done the lift and feel thing myself but after a tire replacement and balance, this 09 in my shop has what I would call an over amount of vibration. I thought the 09s were supposed to be a much smother ride with the isolator. I just want to make sure the tension is where its supposed to be as with any belt tension.

Right out of the service manual for each year...see below.

Thorns

09 Service Manual - Belt Deflection
MODEL INCHES MILLIMETERS
FLHX 1/4-5/16 6.4-7.9
Other models 3/8-7/16 9.5-11.1

FLHR/C, FLHT/C/U, FLTR -
3/8-7/16 9.5-11.1

Just remember the belt tension specs are based on someone of your weight sitting on the bike when setting the deflection. That is unless I forgot how and they changed something.

From Service Manual -

With motorcycle upright and rear wheel off the ground, or on jiffy stand without rider or luggage.

Thorns

Just remember the belt tension specs are based on someone of your weight sitting on the bike when setting the deflection. That is unless I forgot how and they changed something.

My specs per Factory Service Manual are with no rider on bike.

Back