free website stats program Belt Sprocket Wear | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt Sprocket Wear

mc2

Contributor
I have 12,000 miles on my 08 Fat Boy ridding 'occassionally' on dusty roads/conditions in Vietnam. Drive belt tension has always been proper, yet the chrome in the grooves of the wheel sprocket is worn off. The belt appears to be in good condition for now, layer over all cogs is equal on both sides of the cogs. I am concerned this condition will deteriorate as the sprocket wears out faster without the chrome surface. $200 for a new sprocket + shipping. I guess that is better than replacing both belt & sprocket later.

Anyone else have this problem?
I have been told somebody anodizes these sprockets for long wear. Anybody know who 'they' are?

Wow, that is quite a lot of wear for so current a model and mileage...but I would replace...IF or WHEN you have to replace the belt. Might want to get the proper part numbers and patiently find at your leisure the proper replacement.

Never heard of that kind of wear in such short miles, do we have a metal problem here, ive put like Smitty upwards of 50k on belts with no wear

Everyone I have checked with has found the chrome missing or in the process of going when they have looked at it. This is on bikes with as little as 5K miles. It is almost completely gone on my Ultra with 30K, and about 75% gone on my Dyna with 15K. I talked to the HD Rep about the Ultra when I first noticed it at 15K. Official HD position is, don't worry about the chrome, just watch the condition of the sprocket. I have not noticed any excess wear of the aluminum on either of mine.

Thanks for the comments on this. I am doing some pretty long and hard ridding here in Nam. Some conditions are 'rough', but the adventures are fantastic. Any assistance on the road is 'scarce' at best. Easier to change a sprocket and waiting for delivery. Friends sprocket is same condition with same miles, and leaving as is. I will post updates on this matter.

Just completed a 4,000 miles of ridding. Run a new Dunlop down to the steel belt and the sprocket is showing wear on the crowns.

Back