Belt replacement

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by largecar91, Apr 27, 2011.

1. largecar91

largecar91 Member

I have an 03 Ultra and the drive belt has some bad spots in it. I already have it tore down to replace a stator so I figure now is the time to change the belt, which I have a new one. Does the swingarm have to come completely off? I have used the "search" function and all the links I have found on this subject are old and not valid links any longer. Thanks

2. War Horse

War Horse Member

Yes the swing arm needs to come off, be sure to support the engine since the swingarm shaft also holds the rear of the engine .

3. largecar91

largecar91 Member

Thanks. I was hoping for a some little trick to keep from completely removing it. Wishful thinking!

4. kemo

kemo R.I.P

You should check the rear pullie, cause if the pullie is bad it will destroy the new belt
    Ken

5. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Yep if it's got much chrome flaking off the teeth, now would be the time to replace it. Mine has some, but the belt is still holding up so I'm running it awhile.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

7. largecar91

largecar91 Member

Thanks alot! That's the answer I was hoping for! My stator was cooked and I found some of the insulation flaked off and a 1/4" of bare wire showing. It's always nice to find the problem and what caused it.

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Great post T-Bones...really good sharing your insight. :small3d028:

9. War Horse

War Horse Member

T-Bones, that might be ok for a professional tech , but the danger of a hobbyist twisting the belt to get it in there is highly probable.

I just allways assume ( yeah I know) some one asking isnt a pro.. and short cuts are allmost allways best done by someone whos well trained....Just sayin.:newsmile07:

10. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

This is the procedure directly from my shop manual for my 2000 Ultra. Followed it to a tee and had no problem getting the belt out past the swingarm.:)