free website stats program Belt replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt replacement

largecar91

I have an 03 Ultra and the drive belt has some bad spots in it. I already have it tore down to replace a stator so I figure now is the time to change the belt, which I have a new one. Does the swingarm have to come completely off? I have used the "search" function and all the links I have found on this subject are old and not valid links any longer. Thanks

Yes the swing arm needs to come off, be sure to support the engine since the swingarm shaft also holds the rear of the engine .

You should check the rear pullie, cause if the pullie is bad it will destroy the new belt
Ken

You should check the rear pullie, cause if the pullie is bad it will destroy the new belt
Ken

Yep if it's got much chrome flaking off the teeth, now would be the time to replace it. Mine has some, but the belt is still holding up so I'm running it awhile.

Thanks alot! That's the answer I was hoping for! My stator was cooked and I found some of the insulation flaked off and a 1/4" of bare wire showing. It's always nice to find the problem and what caused it.

No, you don't need to remove the swingarm, it makes the job easier if you do but you don't have to. You need to support the transmission as War Horse said, then you need to remove the left side nut on the pivot shaft, use a drift and drive the shaft far enough in so you can remove the leftside bushing. Once the bushing is removed, you have just enuff room between the swingarm and the frame to feed the belt thru the gap... Again, it's easier to do this job by removing the entire swingarm but you don't have to to change out the belt... But if you remove the swingarm you have to remove the rear wheel as well... If you do the job as I have explained, you don't have to remove the rear wheel... When your working in a shop on flatrate, time is money... The quicker you can get the job done, the more money you make... In your case, you can take your time and not worry bout it :)...you also need to remove the bottom shock bolt so you can feed the belt thru with the rear tire still mounted in the swingarm... By doing it this way, it saves you about 30 minutes of time changing out a belt... Course, that's just me... I wrenched under flatrate for so long that when I do work, I do it the quickest way that it can be done, I still haven't adjusted to being retired :)...

Great post T-Bones...really good sharing your insight. :small3d028:

T-Bones, that might be ok for a professional tech , but the danger of a hobbyist twisting the belt to get it in there is highly probable.

I just allways assume ( yeah I know) some one asking isnt a pro.. and short cuts are allmost allways best done by someone whos well trained....Just sayin.:newsmile07:

No, you don't need to remove the swingarm, it makes the job easier if you do but you don't have to. You need to support the transmission as War Horse said, then you need to remove the left side nut on the pivot shaft, use a drift and drive the shaft far enough in so you can remove the leftside bushing. Once the bushing is removed, you have just enuff room between the swingarm and the frame to feed the belt thru the gap... Again, it's easier to do this job by removing the entire swingarm but you don't have to to change out the belt... But if you remove the swingarm you have to remove the rear wheel as well... If you do the job as I have explained, you don't have to remove the rear wheel... When your working in a shop on flatrate, time is money... The quicker you can get the job done, the more money you make... In your case, you can take your time and not worry bout it :)... Take care... T

Wasn't able to edit my post quick enough, you also need to remove the bottom shock bolt so you can feed the belt thru with the rear tire still mounted in the swingarm... By doing it this way, it saves you about 30 minutes of time changing out a belt... Course, that's just me... I wrenched under flatrate for so long that when I do work, I do it the quickest way that it can be done, I still haven't adjusted to being retired :)...

This is the procedure directly from my shop manual for my 2000 Ultra. Followed it to a tee and had no problem getting the belt out past the swingarm.:)

Back