free website stats program Belt replacement for 2004 XL1200R? | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt replacement for 2004 XL1200R?

DesertNevar

My 2004 XL1200R only has 8K miles and I'm going to have new tires installed (it still has the original tires). I was thinking about having them install a new belt at the same time. I know that drive belts can go a lot more the 8K miles but it is also 11 years old now. I don't drive it hard at all and never carry a passenger or much gear. The tires are showing dry-rot on the sidewalls, especially the front tire. I also keep it garaged (sheded, actually :)).

So, what do you guys think about the new belt? Like I said, I know the mileage is low but it is 11 years old now and they will have the back wheel off already for the new tires.

Inspect it for cracks and dry rot. I agree with Harttoo, if it gives you some piece of mind then go for it.

Before replacing belt, have complete estimate provided. The estimate will probably make the decision for you.... It is more involved than you think.:s

My three early 90's evo bikes as far as I know have their original belts so the belts can last a long time
Perhaps best to inspect and then replace as necessary
Replacing the belt on a sportster is not quite as complex as a big twin

Brian

My three early 90's evo bikes as far as I know have their original belts so the belts can last a long time
Perhaps best to inspect and then replace as necessary
Replacing the belt on a sportster is not quite as complex as a big twin

Brian

They do last a long time as long as they are taken care of. Periodically inspect for gravel/asphalt in the belt path.

I can say, keep it a little on the looser side, as when torque and weight is applied, it tightens it. When you have it too tight it causes unnecessary fatigue and heat, which causes premature failure.

I've adjusted belts when they've gotten so hot, they will burn your hand if you touch it after a ride, because the tech had no clue or didn't care. It should be about ~150F, but not enough to scorch your hand after a good ride.

One last and final note... make darn sure your rear tire is aligned correctly. Even myself, I check it 3 to 4 times AFTER each 100 miles of riding after replacing a tire. Sometimes I'm good, sometimes I note that there it shifted a hair (1/16" to 1/8"). I'm usually pretty anal when it comes to alignment of things... bugs me if something isn't straight. Maybe a little OCD.

Back