free website stats program Belt question | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt question

mder123

Banned
Hey friends......
I was going over my bike and I looked at the rear tire on the drive belt it looked worn or almost looked like the belt was rubbing on the tire. Any Ideas??

Are you running the stock size tire? Is the belt tension correct? Does the belt look like it is worn on the side closest to the tire?

Hey friends......
I was going over my bike and I looked at the rear tire on the drive belt it looked worn or almost looked like the belt was rubbing on the tire. Any Ideas??
---------------------------------------------
On my 2000 FXDS, I went to a 150 size tire from the stock 140 on the rear.. Harley changed to the 150 size tire, Not sure what year but It may be your year... There was room and doubt if HD did anything to the bike But put on the wider tire..

The belts on todays HD's are narrower than the older bikes of yesteryear.

If belt IS NOT touching the tire,,, CLOSE won't hurt a thing... I only had a little under 3/16 inch and Less with the bigger-wider tire..

If the tire is the stock size and belt is rubbing, There is some thing a-Muck..

signed....BUBBIE

There was a recent thread on here on a similar subject.....can't remember title now BUT...as I recall, inadequate tyre pressure (soft) turned out to be the problem. Have you checked?

I will check the tire pressure ..... Hmmmmmm I am running stock tires and it is not rubbing now and appears there is enough distance between the belt and tire. I will check

The belt usually tracks towards the wheel when the bike/wheel is going backwards and track away from the wheel when going forwards the movement of the belt is on the front pulley so it may have moved away from the tyre because you moved the bike forwards

Brian

Back