free website stats program Belt Noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt Noise

Thanks for the responses. I am hesitant to use silicone spray or wax, etc., because I don't want to just "hide" the problem - I want to fix it. The bike only has 825 miles on it, and I don't ride in dusty conditions. It gets a little hot at the 5 or 6 traffic lights it takes me to get to open roads, but nothing like sitting in a traffic jam.

Is there any benefit to using a dial indicator to measure the run out of the rear pulley and / or belt, both for "out of round" or left to right? If so, is there a spec which is acceptable?

Craig Lee: How much looser are we talking?

Good Morning - I have a 2010 Streetglide whose belt is making a repeditive schreeching / squeeling noise that I can hear (usually under 20 mph due to road / engine noise). It gets worse when hot. I know it is the belt because the brakes do not effect it,

I have some important questions/comments...

1) When rolling the bike forward, does the belt hug a lip of the rear pulley. If so, how "strong" does it hug. By that I mean if you position the belt equidistant from the lips, does the belt quickly go to 1 side or does it slowly drift to 1 side.

2) The belt tension can be adjusted 2 ways. While the frame is suspended and when it is on the ground. Don't adjust it while suspended.

3) I don't care what the dealership said about your belt tension being correct. What does it read when YOU check it. Push you finger against a scale to get an idea of what 10 lbs of push feels like. Once you get the feel of it you will be able to adjust you belt while the bike is standing upright.

4) In my book a little loose is better than a little too tight.

You did ask about using a "Dial" to see... I Would do so...
ALSO "mark"pulley,,, then turn the rear pulley and see IF the squeak is uniform with A area of the sprocket OR is it on the belt (also mark belt where you hear the noise and don't).... This will show IF it is the belt OR the sprocket and Where it is noisy..

signed....BUBBIE

Not quite....It's the pulley not the shaft, maybe a B+ :s

How many degrees?

OK, my bad.:D
Glider: What scale do your play when a D dominant 7th resolves to g minor?:D
Degree in music but working on my HD Talking diploma!:s

OK, my bad.:D
Glider: What scale do your play when a D dominant 7th resolves to g minor?:D
Degree in music but working on my HD Talking diploma!:s

The Dominant Seventh chord is built with the root, a Major 3rd, a perfect 5th, and a Minor 7th. The formula is also written as "1 M3 P5 m7".

Been many years since I played.

Next?:D

The Dominant Seventh chord is built with the root, a Major 3rd, a perfect 5th, and a Minor 7th. The formula is also written as "1 M3 P5 m7".

Been many years since I played.

Next?:D

Mz Bling thinks you googled it! I think you're the Man!
Question is: What scale do you play over the Dominant 5th when it resolves to the relative minor? :D

Hoople:

1. The belt hugs the outside of the pulley. I checked a bunch at the dealership and they all look like mine. I don't know how "strong" it hugs it, but strong enough I can't move it over with hand strength.

2. It makes sense to me to adjust it at temperature with a rider, but the service manual says to adjust it with the rear end off the ground at ambient temperature. Go figure?

3. When I measured the tension it is at 1/4 to 5/16 like the manual says. I will say this feels REALLY tight to me, coming from chain driven sportbikes.

Thanks again

Mz Bling thinks you googled it! I think you're the Man!
Question is: What scale do you play over the Dominant 5th when it resolves to the relative minor? :D

Sorry, meant the Dominant 5th resolves to it's relative Root (IMaj7) chord but being minor i.e. D7 to g-7, C7 to f-7, etc. Hope this helps. :)

Hoople:

1. I don't know how "strong" it hugs it, but strong enough I can't move it over with hand strength.

2. off the ground at ambient temperature. Go figure?

Thanks again

No, don't try to move it over by hand. You will never be able to do that. I probably was not clear. Jack the bike up. Rotate the tire toward rear. Continue rotating several times until belt is against other lip. Keep turning several more revolutions. Now turn wheel forward and see how fast it moves over to the ORIGINAL rubbing side.
I am thinking the noise may not be caused by belt tension, but more a noise of the belt pushing against the lip with more force than you want.

The 2010 StreetGlide service manual does not have two adjustments, 1 for on ground and other for jacked up? That makes no sense to me at all.
Who cares what the tension is jacked up. On the ground is what matters.

Back