free website stats program Belt Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt Noise

SprChkn

Good Morning - I have a 2010 Streetglide whose belt is making a repeditive schreeching / squeeling noise that I can hear (usually under 20 mph due to road / engine noise). It gets worse when hot. I know it is the belt because the brakes do not effect it, and when I put it up on th lift (when hot) and spin the tire it makes the noise. Also, I tried a diagnostic tip found in this forum, and sprayed water with a drop of dishsoap on it - Presto! Noise gone! The noise also goes away once the bike is completely cool (i.e. the next morning) on the lift, but comes back quickly once riding.

I took it to the dealer who checked it out and said belt tension is fine, pulleys / sprockets look fine, and wheel bearings are fine. The tech thought it was the brakes and cleaned and put anti-squeel stuff on the pads, but by the time I rode the 10 miles home from the dealer the noise was back. I bought the belt tension tool, and the tension seemed to be okay to me also. Wheel alignment seems fine. Belt is tracking to the outside as it should.

Side note: The tension range on the Steetglide is 1/4 to 5/16; Seriously? You're bent over trying to measure an odd shaped rubber strip against a plastic shroud with 1/8 inch markings on it and the acceptable tenion range is 1/16 of an inch?

How do I stop this - or does it matter? If all the parts are okay, and the tension is okay - will the noise hurt anything?

Thanks!

I don't think it as problem, I can't hear it so I don't know HOW loud it is...

Other members said there is a spray from napa that will Help here... If it were mine I would LOOSEN the axle and adjust a little different on the tension and see if that would help..
Providing all is Right , The belt noise should not cause a problem...
If Belt Turns defective Later, Make sure it is documented at Your dealership... Belts are NOT normally covered under warranty.... I would think the noisy belt would call for replacement or FIX from the dealer you purchased from... Don't You?
Let us know.

signed....BUBBIE

Harley techs are parts changers...if it's not broke they dont know how to fix it....The noise should not be there!

Harley used to make a lube for the belts called Poly Oil !

my friends with "BELTS" now and then had noise like yours but it was a belt tension thing! quick adjustment and it was gone! On a 2010 they should do something like put a different belt on it to make ya HAPPY! its a warranty thing if the belt is bad...also it could be the teeth in the pully cut wrong...

also check your rear wheel balance or the wheel is not tracking right maybe theres a wobble thats making the belt sound noisy like its loose

Try some silicone spray on the drive side of the belt. It could be due to the conditions that you ride in like excessive heat and road dust etc.

Belt tension is also the cause of belt noises too.

Your going to get several responses to this one. I've found on my '08 SG (45,000+ miles) that the belt needs to be a little more loose than factory specs when cold. After riding several miles, the pulley's or IDS pads (the guru's will know) expand and the belt gets tighter. Check the tension before, during and after riding. The '09 and later webbed the 6 IDS pads together which mine are 6 separate which might make a difference. The only squeeking I experiance now is after riding and the bike turned off backing into garage. Not really a squeeking but a tight kind of sound. Don't forget about some of the previous threads which talk about a silicone spray or spinning the back tire and using a candle to wax the belt. Pledge :) is also a temporary fix.

The only squeaking I experience now is after riding and the bike turned off backing into garage. Not really a squeaking but a tight kind of sound.

That's because the belt tracks to the opposite side of the pulley when backing up.

Back