free website stats program Belt Life? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt Life?

Just to add, in 45k miles, there have been two times when my belt was loose:
1.) Belt was fine leaving Raleigh NC. Rode for 7.5 hours, in torrential rain, 2 up (my father and I on an adventure). The next day when I was cleaning the belt was very loose. I chalk it up to the combination of 2 up and lots of rain letting the belt tensioner on the axle bolts slip.

2.) Last time I had the rear tire replaced at the dealer. They took it right back and corrected it. I have had good service from this dealer so I am not upset. My thinking is that everyone needs to pay attention, me and the tech. People make mistakes. Something to check when you get a tire changed because the belt can be pretty loose and not be noticed in the test ride after service. But you can have issues if you really accelerate hard on a loose belt. Since you may have a new rear tire, you would take is slow for a while to wear the tire a little. But later when you jump on the throttle....and you are far away from the dealer...

+1 on pre-ride checks/cleaning/wiping down with pledge or what ever you do to take a close look at your scoot. Loose belt, loose bolt, worn wire, crack in the tread of your tire....an ounce of prevention is so worth it.

The belt tension measuring tool is up there with the torqure wrench for the fluid drain plugs. Once I got a feel for it, I don't think I "need" them. But there is no good way to describe it, so it is worth the money, in my opinion. Now, the big torque wrench for the rear axle nut, yeah I still need that puppy.

Can someone explain how to adjust the belt? Also, where is a good place to get a service manual for a 2010 FLHX? Thanks.

I bought my manual from a dealer. I have not looked in quite some time, but after a certain number requirements are met, there are some manuals you can download from this site. So, there is the potential to have an electronic copy that you could view/print as needed. I do this when I need some pictures and info right in front of me and I don't want to get the manual dirty. But, I would still get the real book version. Yes it is a little expensive, but it is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back