free website stats program Belt chirping | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt chirping

fattyboy

Hi All,Its been awhile,still messing with the 03 fatboy.Got motor all put back together 59 miles on it, so far its good!I need alittle help on the drive belt,When i back off the gas i hear a chirping sound coming from the belt.Is it becouse it has been sitting for awhile.does anybody have any ideas????? Thanks.

Are you sure it is the belt?
The muffler bracket rubbers dry out and chirp terribly.
I spray mine with a bit of silicone spray. Quiets them up for about 20,000 miles or 5 solid days of riding in rain

I have in the past had a lot of noise from the belt on my dyna even with the tension set as per the book with Harley tool and a rider seated on the bike just a wee bit more slack on the belt kept it quiet without any other issues

Brian

Too tight and or debris on the belt and pulleys will cause a chirp

Speaking of strange chirps:
I had one on the front end and found a remedy to put anti seize behind the brake pads.
As strange as it was, it stopped the chirp.
Could something like that happen on the rear brake?

I have always found that the CORRECT tightness for a belt is NOT harley way.

I Too had the chirp on my 00 FXDS belt when set at HD's instructions as a TAD looser solved tthe Chirp.

Just a little less. As the bike runs on the road, It has a tendancy to become tighter. I am Old School and will not tighten my belts up to the 10# method.

If your adjuster is the loosen axle and turn the set-bolts? I'd go on full flat on each side to keep it even. Try that "IF" it is still a chirp, loosen and go one more flat.

Bet that will do it...

I like a full 1/2 to Max 3/4 inch belt movement COLD.NOT at 10 pounds either.:D

On my King, midway of a ride and all hot/warmed, the belt doesn't move up that measurement (eyeball) but not Tight like it would be by HD's instructions.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Speaking of strange chirps:
I had one on the front end and found a remedy to put anti seize behind the brake pads.
As strange as it was, it stopped the chirp.
Could something like that happen on the rear brake?

Sure, any thing you can do to keep the pads from vibrating(this is the harmonic that makes them squeak) will be a plus

I Probably should explain that I Don't do my belt on the 09 King Off the ground.

I take measurement BY finger pressure and total looseness while on the side stand.

One other post I did getting a reply from a member said;

HD calls out for 1//2 to 3/4 inch at 10#... I really don't know IF they do or not.

I have gone into Many HD shops over the Years, and I have a habit of feeling WHERE the tension is Set on the ready for-sale bikes. MOST of them feel tooooooo tight for me.

I may be close to HD's saying "adjustment" but the finished Product of MY tension is Just at 1/2" Movement up when truly Hot after running..... Measured BY FEEL at the adjustment marker and NOT tight like Most other HD's out the door will be.

I like the way and feel of the belt on MY bike... "MY" is the important thing here...

I usually don't "get on" my bike until warmed and never had a bad belt OR unusual wear from my setting...

Nobody said anything here to warrant this Post but my thinking to clarify MY Adjustment style......

signed....BUBBIE

Back