free website stats program belt change | Harley Davidson Forums

belt change

on a 2002 classic when to you do you need to change the belt

I think you got a typo there, and mean what do you need to do. It's kind of a big deal to change a belt. Outer primary, compensator,clutch assembly and inner primary come off. Then shock absorber and belt guard come off.
A good selection of tools and some moderate mechanical ability is required. A service manual is highly recommended for many reasons, least of which is torque values.

I have seen people post that their belt broke after 25K. A few weeks back someone said their belt had 80 something K on it.

How much power you have, type of riding, how it was adjusted, etc all have an effect on belt life. For me if it had 50K on it and was 5 years old, I would be thinking about it. Do it at the same time you put on a rear tire and save some labor.

I think you got a typo there, and mean what do you need to do. It's kind of a big deal to change a belt. Outer primary, compensator,clutch assembly and inner primary come off. Then shock absorber and belt guard come off.
A good selection of tools and some moderate mechanical ability is required. A service manual is highly recommended for many reasons, least of which is torque values.

I forgot something, swingarm also has to come loose on your bike.

When changing the rear tire, I would also inspect the rear pulley and the belt for any sign of potential problems.

That depends on a lot of stuff don't it? The Harley Owners and Service manual for your bike'll give you some pointers but here's a few things that I generally pay attention to.
How much adjustment do I have left in the axel.....not much or none= change the belt.
Does the belt got any cord showing, cracks, holes in it or are the sides frayed......yeah= change the belt. Belts can get damaged a lot of ways and you need to pay attention to them. I look at mine every time I have the bike up on a jack, maybe every 2 months or so.
Otherwise, there's really no way to tell when it'll go, if you go by milage, you'll be changing out belts that don't need changin. And that ain't cheap.

I would say that once you get to 50k and are around 10 yrs might be a good time to change it it is not a quick saturday afternoon job so give yourself plenty of time to do it read the service manuall so that you know what is required before you start and have all the tools and consumables on hand ill be doing the dyna over the winter as its a 94 and almost 50k although it may have been replaced by a previous owner i dont know about that so for my peace of mind its up for replacement

Brian

I think you misread it, he said when do you need to change the belt. I guess !!!!

Back