free website stats program Belt alignment | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt alignment

the draggin

I was just checking out my rear brakes and other stuff and as I rotated the rear tire as if backing up I noticed the belt rubbing the front pull to the inside of the pully when I rotated the tire in the forward direction the belt went to the outside of the pully, so I tried to get it to run in the middle of the front pully but had no success. I backed off the right (throttle side)adjuster bolt and tried that, it didn't help so I tightened the left (primary side) and that didn't help. So I have the wheel aligned to the front wheel and the bike travels nice. I'm just wandering is it the top engine mount adjustment that could be the area that needs looked at? I checked the plumb of the front wheel and rear wheel with a dial guage attached to the brake rotors both front and rear with the bike on a jack on level ground. Any hints? Thanks

The belt moving inside to outside while rotating the tire rearward or forward is normal. The belt should track to the outside when moving forward. This is, and I hate to say it, what they all do.

You sound like a H-D dealer service guy. LOL. Thanks for the reply I figured it probably incurable.

OUCH!:D:D I really hate it when anyone gives that reply, it is not satisfying and it explains nothing. This belt tracking issue has been brought up before and some of our smart members have explaind the whys' and howcomes'. I own a 94 FLSTC and an 05FLTRI and they both do the same thing. Ride safe, Don

OUCH!:D:D I really hate it when anyone gives that reply, it is not satisfying and it explains nothing. This belt tracking issue has been brought up before and some of our smart members have explaind the whys' and howcomes'. I own a 94 FLSTC and an 05FLTRI and they both do the same thing. Ride safe, Don

Don, I thought you gave a perfect account of how the belt tracks. Thanks for the information..........

Back