free website stats program Belgium, Wallonia Region | Harley Davidson Forums

Belgium, Wallonia Region

Nikko684

Hello all!

I am not new to the forum, but I have been away a while. First of all, I would like to say hello again, and I apologize for being AWOL so long! So the reason I have been away so long is that I am Active duty US Military and my schedule was so hectic, I ended up forgetting to check posts and threads and eventually even forgetting about the forum in all. I have now moved to Belgium on orders, and I will be here for the next 3 years, thankfully with a lot of downtime! I'm extremely excited about that.

I am looking forward to a lot of time on 2 wheels all through Europe! But unfortunately, my bike is not yet here. It is supposed to arrive sometime in the next 3 weeks. So I have 2 questions for my fellow Belgian/European riders; or for anyone who knows the answers for that matter.....

The first question is: How do I go about updating my GPS maps from the North American maps, to European maps and how much does it cost, or where can I find the file to download to my thumb drive? I appreciate all input on this.

The second question is: If I currently have Geico for insurance, will they still cover me here in Europe? I know, I know, just call them right? Well my American phone has been put on Military Suspend for my tour, and to call from my European Number is outrageous in cost. So, before I call them, I would like to have the facts if I can. If not Geico, can anyone recommend a decently priced European insurance agent? Phone Number/name? Please, again all input is appreciated.

So I guess that actually makes me think of a third question: If I am currently living in Chievres, with Mons being the closest large town, (I'm more actually located in Brugelette), where are good shops for bike parts/fluids/etc.? I've taken notice that the local Harley dealer is incredibly expensive...

Anyway, once again I am happy to be back on the forums, and I look forward to hearing from you guys, as well as many future interactions. Shiny side up!

In reference to your insurance question, do some internet research and if need be contact Geico via the internet, I would think they would have an email address to contact them with questions.

Jeff they do, but I got the runaround. First because a Stateside policy is a different type of policy from an overseas policy, and then because my policy is different entirely because it's a military policy...So lots of red tape and phone calls/emails to be made lol.

Hi There
Most europeans will have a suitable gps for their region and wouldnt buy a US version and try to update it so answers may be thin in the ground but if i wanted to add US maps to any of my gps units i would log on to the gps company website and buy suitable mapping

Insurance is a country by country but cover normaly all or part of europe for a limited amout of days during any 1 year Here in UK it depends on the address where the vehicle is normaly kept that adds or reduces the cost of insurance

Harley Davidson is a premium product this side of the pond and priced accordingly aftermarket products are also not cheep

Enjoy your time this side of the pond and explore as much as you can

Brian

Hi There
Most europeans will have a suitable gps for their region and wouldnt buy a US version and try to update it so answers may be thin in the ground but if i wanted to add US maps to any of my gps units i would log on to the gps company website and buy suitable mapping

Insurance is a country by country but cover normaly all or part of europe for a limited amout of days during any 1 year Here in UK it depends on the address where the vehicle is normaly kept that adds or reduces the cost of insurance

Harley Davidson is a premium product this side of the pond and priced accordingly aftermarket products are also not cheep

Enjoy your time this side of the pond and explore as much as you can

Brian
Thanks a bunch Brian, So where are you located this side of the pond? I'm loving Belgium but as you know, Europe is rather small and so lots of riding and exploring to do!

I am in north east Scotland i did do some military service in Germany and passed through the low countries from time to time going to and from the ferry ports used Zebrugge a lot in the past
Have used this place a few times https://www.grd.be/
Wife says i am getting too old to take the bike out of Scotland we visit her family in Germany most years and a 3 day trip to get there on the bikes possible in 2 days but day 1 would have to start at 4am to get to the ferry on time

Brian

I am in north east Scotland i did do some military service in Germany and passed through the low countries from time to time going to and from the ferry ports used Zebrugge a lot in the past
Have used this place a few times https://www.grd.be/
Wife says i am getting too old to take the bike out of Scotland we visit her family in Germany most years and a 3 day trip to get there on the bikes possible in 2 days but day 1 would have to start at 4am to get to the ferry on time

Brian
I don't doubt the travel time. I have noticed that mainland Europe is rather smaller than I had thought. and I discovered Ryan Air, extremely cheap airline tickets. They have round trip tickets to Italy from Brussels for about 30 Euro. That's a great deal if you ask me lol.

Back