free website stats program Bel Ray Fluids? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bel Ray Fluids?

Jim Welch

Has anyone used this priduct in primanary or trans.Had to remove the primanary cover to replace the stator, and the inside of cover had brown stains on it. Has anyone exp. the same thing?

Jim Welch

Do you mean Bel Ray? I've never heard of Blue Ray.
Bel Ray is good quality lubes, but I've only used their dirt bike products. If your stator was cooked, that might explain the brown oil residue.

Yep MY typing is not the best>

Jim Welch

I thought the same thing,but they said it was because of the Bel Ray, just wanted a few coments on ones that use Bel Ray. new to forum,exc. spelling and typing>

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Bel Ray is a good lube, have run it in Evos with no problems:s

Bel Ray is carried by local H-D dealer. I have used their fork oil (have 7.5 wt...!) and their lubricants are color coded and a quality products, be they 100% Syn Engine Oil, Primary or Tranny Gear Oils.

I've used the gear oil in my tranny. It performed really good and quieted the shift noise as well as Spectro 6 speed. Although I tried it once and liked it, I still perfer Spectro.

If the stator overheated on its way out any oil would volatize to an extent.

Essentially, you boiled it and the vapors condensed, Leaving a stain.

Clean it up and use Bel Ray again. It's good stuff.

In my 2008 Softail service manual and in the Operators manual, it calls for Formula 1 in the Trans and Primary. 20w-50 in the motor. I saw above that some are using 20-50 non-synth in the primary. I'm putting 75-140 sixspeed synth in trany and primary like the books says. Is that the right thing?

75/140 syn. is great for the trans. I think it would be a little stiff on the clutch plates when cold. If you use it in the primary, post back with the results.

I run (I think) 90W-140 in the tranny.

I am running Formula + in my primary at the moment because of an error in fluids on hand one day. (left over from my daughters Sporty)

I PREFER a semi Syn 75W-90 for the primary and will go back to that at the next 5,000 crankcase service. Won't need changing, just do them together to save effort and put in my preferred stuff.

Back