free website stats program Beads or weights for tire balance? | Harley Davidson Forums

Beads or weights for tire balance?

Rockchalk

Just ordered a new set of Elite 3 tires for my 06 RK. Won't put them on till March, when my HD dealer offers free mounting if the tires were bought from them. Any thoughts on beads to balance or stick on weights. Mounting on stock 16 x 3 9 spoke wheels that I had chromed. Any pros or cons would be great. Thanks.

Beads have also worked for me. I did stick-on weights last tire change, cleaned the wheel, used acetone to clean and applied the weight and it fell off a month or so later. To tell you the truth I couldn't feel any difference with the 1oz weight missing so I don't know if I would even bother with a weight if it was under an 1 oz.
kemo

Being a bit ol' fashion, external weights though not visually appealing, more to me a reassuring "nod" during pre-ride inspection, and one of the things I check for when cleaning the bike.

You never know if everything is dynamically okay along side the bike and only until you throw a leg over and take 'er out...

I probably would not use them myself but this is 1 incredible demo on how they seem to work. For our type of application, (static-single plane balancing & not 2 plane dynamic balancing) it appears they may actually work. If the tire rim setup was wide, such as in a cage where you have an outside & inside weight, I can't see how they would work. But for single plane bike wheels, maybe they do. Who knows.
I can't see any smoke & mirror tricks in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

Have used the beads for some time now and love them, why would you put stick on weights that can fall off, look ugly especially on a hi-dollar set of wheels!

Good find Hoop, and certainly adds "ammo" to the case of the DynaBeads, and sure makes the decision...uhhh..."--balanced..."!:rofl

The video looks good. I'm not a math-a-mutt-ician, but see a couple things that raise questions to me.
First, the bottle is not supported on both ends/sides like a wheel, and
the weight is about as far from the shaft as possible, of course it's gonna gyrate wildly.
Second,why not use a solid shaft, it will still exhibit unbalance just not as "dramatic".
Third, They used 1 oz. of beads to balance aprox. 3/4 oz of unbalance, in a 3 inch diameter bottle. Dyna Beads website recommens 1 0z. for most front wheels, 18"-21", isn't there a correlation (right word?) of weight vs. diameter? How do you estimate how far out of balance your tire is, or do you just balance a percentage of the unbalance? Or add 4 - 5 oz. of beads to make sure you are covered?
There's other questions too, but I'm about to time out on this reply. I would like to believe in them,, but. :bigsmiley29:

Last edited:
Just ordered a new set of Elite 3 tires for my 06 RK. Won't put them on till March, when my HD dealer offers free mounting if the tires were bought from them. Any thoughts on beads to balance or stick on weights. Mounting on stock 16 x 3 9 spoke wheels that I had chromed. Any pros or cons would be great. Thanks.

If you chromed the wheels you might not want your tire mounted for free unless you want them all beat up.( free means fast as they can )You might want someone that will take their time with that and do a nice job. JMO:newsmile047:

Back