free website stats program Bead Seat Cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Bead Seat Cover

horizonchaser

Contributor
I bought a bead seat cover last Spring for taking on long trips. I have heard pretty good things about them so I went ahead and bought it and it performed well over the long haul.
The caveat is that the manufactuer says that they aren't responsable for any damage to the seat. That was a red flag for me so I purchased some black, non slip drawer liners that you would put in a tool box drawer and cut it to the shape of the beaded seat and then set the seat on the top of the drawer liner with the hopes that over a season of riding there wouldn't be any "dimple damage" on my seat.
Can anyone on this forum tell me if they too have a bead seat and that they DON"T Do any harm to the original seat? I have left it on all Winter. I suppose I could have taken it off and looked for myself to see if there was any damage. Thanks
H C

Never used the bead seat myself but if they said it could cause damage to the seat, I would think they are saying that for a reason of liability just in case it does damage your seat so they aren't responsible.

That is the sorry truth that I didn't want to acknowledge. They would then have the "We told you so" disclaimer.
As an aside, I just want you to know that because of YOU being such a proponent of Pledge, that when I was with my wife in Wal-Mart the other day and saw an Orange can of Pledge ( I remember a thread where you said "That's the secret"), without hesitation, I grabbed it! But now I'm bumming after having sprayed my chrome with WD40 only to read that it can "delaminate" the chrome. My gut feeling is that a one time spray ain't gonna hurt nothing. I hope. ;-)

HC, is this bead seat the type that you put on top of the seat like grandpa had on his old chevy? If so a friend has been selling them for a few years and always has them on the bike. He has tried to get me to buy a set and said they really help keep the butt cool on those hot, long rides. He has never mention'd any thing about causing a wear pattern in the leather. I will contact him to confirm, but for now i don't think you should have a problem.

Getting back with more info, the brand name is Seat Beads, my friend has had them on over 25,000 miles, no wear pattern in the seat, and the strings holding the beads togeather are still in great condition, if this is the same style your thinking of using you should be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel, Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you but yes, the beads are similar to the ones we used to put on the car seats. I can tell you for sure that they are good at relieving Monkey Butt. My concern was will it mess up my original seat. I took a peek under the beads to look at the seat and I didn't notice any permanent dimples or anything to that effect. So maybe they are harmless afterall.

Yeah, I guess the proof will be in a few seasons of hard riding. After what you had said, I think I'm gonna be o.k..
I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it during the season but I think it'll be fine.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just added the beaded seats last summer and I haven't seen any damage to the seat at all. A couple of guys that I ride with have used them for years and had no damage either.

Back