free website stats program BDL question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

BDL question

Not a fan of the enclosed belt primary, I personally do not like the look of the vented covers to keep the belt from getting hot. I will stick with the stock primary set-up, it is simple, if it breaks for some reason I know I can get a chain easily.
not a big fan of enclosed belts either,belts are too small and break too often,ide go 3" open or leave the chain in there

Hmm doesn't sound like belt drives are too well liked. Just for the sake of discussion not to start an argument but this is what I got from the dealer who deals with BDL when i asked about heating.

Hi 90something,

The BDL bolt-in belt drive kits are specifically designed to be run with a closed primary and there are 10's if not 100's of thousands of these out there running with no problems. As an odd comparison, many modern auto manufacturers use fully enclosed cam timing belts (which are much smaller belts) right in the engines with no problems as well. Other good things about these kits are the improved clutch set-ups (round clutch dogs are way better and much less likely to get in a bind) and much lower rotating mass in both the engine sprocket and clutch hubs/pulleys (reduces main bearing wear and robs less power from the engine). I'm not that big of a fan of the exposed 3" belt drives, they are outboard way too much - too much side-loading and a number of other problems, but the 1-5/8" enclosed ones are very good.

Thanks,
Dave in Parts Department
American Legend Motorcycles Inc.
228 Lisle Industrial Ave.
Lexington, KY 40511
USA
email: sales@legendmcs.com
Discount Custom Chrome Parts, Mid-USA Motorcycle Parts and Bikers Choice Harley Parts for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles
US toll-free: 888-272-9143
international: 859-255-3544
fax: 859-255-3534
----- Original Message -----

I had to edit out some personal stuff

Just for the sake of discussion not to start an argument but this is what I got from the dealer who deals with BDL when i asked about heating.

scooter there is no arguing on this forum we all have different opinions on the forum and if we didn't it sure would make for some boring posts, because of those different opinions nobody is ever right or wrong, we know we live on a two way street here and respect each other because of it, that's part of the learning curve for all of us. Now about that add, I mean the response from the dealer, I'll take ten of them belt drives, not. You have to consider the source, the manufacturer is the best source for facts, people that own the product are the best source for information. My opinion was base on being left along the side of the road twice and not being able to find the belt I was using in a large city like Miami without ordering, I'm old as dirt and maybe belt drives have changed, but if they have why is Harley still not running one in their primary, maybe their like me and had a bad experience with them in the 80's. I say it sounds like you want to try it, so try it and share your experience with us, like I said nobody's wrong here and I'm not too old to change my opinion if it works, I did in the 90's on rear belt. Good luck and get input from the rest of the forum.

Hmm doesn't sound like belt drives are too well liked. Just for the sake of discussion not to start an argument but this is what I got from the dealer who deals with BDL when i asked about heating.

Hi 90something,

The BDL bolt-in belt drive kits are specifically designed to be run with a closed primary and there are 10's if not 100's of thousands of these out there running with no problems. As an odd comparison, many modern auto manufacturers use fully enclosed cam timing belts (which are much smaller belts) right in the engines with no problems as well. Other good things about these kits are the improved clutch set-ups (round clutch dogs are way better and much less likely to get in a bind) and much lower rotating mass in both the engine sprocket and clutch hubs/pulleys (reduces main bearing wear and robs less power from the engine). I'm not that big of a fan of the exposed 3" belt drives, they are outboard way too much - too much side-loading and a number of other problems, but the 1-5/8" enclosed ones are very good.

Thanks,
Dave in Parts Department
American Legend Motorcycles Inc.
228 Lisle Industrial Ave.
Lexington, KY 40511
USA
email: sales@legendmcs.com
Discount Custom Chrome Parts, Mid-USA Motorcycle Parts and Bikers Choice Harley Parts for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles
US toll-free: 888-272-9143
international: 859-255-3544
fax: 859-255-3534
----- Original Message -----

I had to edit out some personal stuff
left out some personal stuff!! looks like you got a good plug in for am. legend!! what was the other stuff,his home phone and color of his wifes hair!!LOL!

Dang... didn't mean to put that advert in there. Cut and paste, too tired and going too fast. Sorry bout that. I'd edit it out but how do you do that? Glad to hear all that from you chopper. Respect is what it's about and that's what I mean to be like on this forum. Had enough of being beaten on in other places for askin the wrong question or sayin the wrong thing. I'm not convinced on the dealers idea of the heating thing either. Other concern is torque on the belt. All's that's fine for a timing belt that isn't under the strain of primary drive. Anyhoo.. the belt drive is in the garage right now and I'll install it and see what happens. But the primary chain ain't going too far away either. Of course it's snowing like mad right now so testing might be delayed awhile. Thanks cscooter93

That's what makes this such a great forum nobody beats on anybody here , no such thing as a wrong question and you don't have to worry about saying the wrong thing so long as you watch your P's & Q's, can I say P & Q here :small3d007:

Well #1 problem in the BDL installation. The inner bearing race has to come off but it's too far in on the shaft. No space to get a puller in. I read in tech tips about cutting 2 groves in the bearing and using a split bearing puller to extract it. Sounds reasonable. I have acess to a dremel tool and a puller. Any suggestions on going about this. Bad thing is I'm the one who put the inner bearing race on. Thought I had left a space of .100 but I do remember a pop sound when I was doing the engine/ tranny alignment. Anywhoo any tips would be appreciated. Thanks cscooter93

we`ve had to cut the grooves and use a bearing seperator like you said,
(put a little heat to it,it comes right off)only other wat is to cut it off,but dont cut into m/s!!

No real short cuts there Scooter, if it's close you might be able to modify the puller a little on the edge by grinding it a little thinner to start it, then carefully tap it, you might just ruin a good tool too, but some heat like prodrag said when your ready to pull it will help, bet you never do that again, good luck

Back