free website stats program BDL question | Harley Davidson Forums

BDL question

Newbie here. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with BDL enclosed primary belt drives? I'll be installing one soon on my 93 Softail and if anybody has any info it would be appreciated. Thanks cscooter93

I've been left along side the road twice with a broken belt and it will never happen again. Harley tried primary belt drive in the 80's and could not make it work, I should have learnned from the source, if you inclose them you have a heat problem, if you run them open you have stuff getting between the belt & pully, then theres alignment issues and the clutch rattles because it's dry, but a 3'' open belt drive does looks really cool parked in my living room. I have friends that run them open in Alaska to this day, but I have a saying, first time your fault, secound time our fault, third time my fault and a well lube chain has always got me home. Rear belts are great but primary belts just aren't for me, just my two cents on primary belt drives, maybe you'll have better luck.

I have an open belt primary (narrow) on my shovelhead. I can't stop it from squeeking at idle, the clutch plates chatter, and start offs are abrupt because there's no compensator. I ONLY keep it because it came on it, and I don't ride it much.
But the 3" do look great.

First off check for proper alignment and pulley wear, The rattle in the clutch is pretty normal if it is stock, with a primary cover on it would mask most of the noise altho as Chopper says it creates alot of heat. H D couldnt even get it quite right on the original belt drive set up on the Sturgis models also Shovel heads, We could never get them to last mostly from Heat problems, Jack

I've been left along side the road twice with a broken belt and it will never happen again. Harley tried primary belt drive in the 80's and could not make it work, I should have learnned from the source, if you inclose them you have a heat problem, if you run them open you have stuff getting between the belt & pully, then theres alignment issues and the clutch rattles because it's dry, but a 3'' open belt drive does looks really cool parked in my living room. I have friends that run them open in Alaska to this day, but I have a saying, first time your fault, secound time our fault, third time my fault and a well lube chain has always got me home. Rear belts are great but primary belts just aren't for me, just my two cents on primary belt drives, maybe you'll have better luck.

Boy, I hope Hobbit doesn't see this thread bashing Belted Primary Drives...they are "trick" and having a few performance pluses that make them at least "worthy of a look". :swoon Where is Hobbit when we need 'em?

I put an enclosed drive on my 99 FXST back in October. So far so good but it dose make more noise than I expected.It's nice not worring about changing the oil or leaks.

Yup me too. Tired of the primary cover leaking oil. I don't think the noise will be an issue since I'm deaf in one ear and can hear out the other.

Not a fan of the enclosed belt primary, I personally do not like the look of the vented covers to keep the belt from getting hot. I will stick with the stock primary set-up, it is simple, if it breaks for some reason I know I can get a chain easily.

And, riding a bike with a 3 inch open belt is a new experience, if you havent done it be careful LOL

Back