free website stats program BB 103 Upgrades | Harley Davidson Forums

BB 103 Upgrades

dolt

My brother is looking to get off his '05 FXST and on to a new '09 model. He wants a performance upgrade from the dealership but doesn't know which package would be the best. I have built several H-D engines from bottom up but have never looked into any of the MoCo packages. He has asked me for my guidance so I have been doing some looking and reading and have narrowed his options to the 29893/94-07A Stage II and the 27513/14-08 Stage III. The Stage III package, based on my calcs, would put the corrected CR at 96:1 and cranking compression at 203. 9.5 on corrected and200 are tops for me on a daily driver/street build and the MoCo published TQ curve looks good but is a little to the right for his riding style. So, I am thinking that the Stage II package is the best choice and bang for the buck,

I would like to hear from anyone running either of these dealer "builds" and their experience with the build. I would also like to know anything about the SEST and how it compares to the SERT.

All input is welcome and appreciated.

check my posts i am running a collection of SE parts and have had good results and there is still more in there.
IMO dump the SERT SEST and either get a Zippers Kits, TTS Mastertune or even the PCV, no matter what we did we could not get the SERT dialled, its great for parts that are listed on the maps but any deviation and it struggles as the base calcs are not good as i was warned by Doc from TTS

Have read good things about the TTS Mastertune and run the SERT on my '05 95" '05 Deuce with good results; 104TQ/96HP, I guess it depends on the tuner. Soon there will be some software available for the SERT that will enhance the SERT with an auto tune mode.

Thanks for the input but I was really looking for feedback from any that have installed either of the dealer packages "out of the box".

Food for though:
Keeping in mind his ride he can do anything he wants with.
As long as it is running well and in no need of major repair why do a 103.
Most bike that are left alone run problem free for a long time.
103 may end up not being an upgrade but just a bunch of problems

103 means faster!:D

Not sure of the part number, but running the street legal 103, 255 cams and stock non catalyst exhaust. Runs good, but, pings when hot. Looking at TTS.

Not sure of the part number, but running the street legal 103, 255 cams and stock non catalyst exhaust. Runs good, but, pings when hot. Looking at TTS.

Don't let it ping,pre-detonation can burn a hole in your piston quickly.
What fuel management do you have?

Food for though:
Keeping in mind his ride he can do anything he wants with.
As long as it is running well and in no need of major repair why do a 103.
Most bike that are left alone run problem free for a long time.
103 may end up not being an upgrade but just a bunch of problems

As you must know, the 103" is to the 96" what the 95" is to the 88"; no big deal, just more displacement. There are many 95" with thousands of trouble free miles; my Deuce has been trouble free for 15K and I ride her hard and put her up wet. Personally, that's whay I think the MoCo upgraded the stock displacement to 96", the 95" upgrade to the 88" engine has become so reliable. The decision to increase stroke instead of bore for the additional displacement, I am sure was driven by the bean counters; just look at all the upgrade possibilities available for the 96" engine now, very smart move by the MoCo iMHO.

My bikes have all looked stock but I have never owned a stock bike and I lean more toward performance than appearance. I sure wouldn't keep one of the later models stock with the engine heat problem; that would have to be cured. Personally, I have advised my brother to buy an earlier model and to stay away from the newer ones but, like you said, his money, his ride. I am just trying to figure out what engine upgrade would be the most cost effective considering the way he rides.

Back