Batwing Removal Help

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by ridemywg, Dec 24, 2009.

1. ridemywg

ridemywg Member

I can use some help here, I need to get the outer half of the batwing off my 1989 FLHTP so I can upgrade the sound system, I had found a great link where someone did a step by step for removing the outter bat wing and installing stereo and speakers but unfortunately its not at all the same setup as on my 89, can someone give me some instructions or perhaps a documented removal procedure? I'm a real cluts at snapping things so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. robertc

robertc Member

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Let me be the first to suggest - get the Service Manual for your bike. It explains how to do this, and hundreds of other procedures!

4. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

Got the manual, It says to remove the windshield bolts, loosen 4 bolts of light bracket to fork remove the 2 lower bolts, lower light bracket to rest on fender, remove headlamp trim ring, remove 8 screws from head lamp assembly to the outer fairing, remove head lamp assembly, the outer fairing is attached to metal brackets by 4 studs, 2 on each side of head light opening, loosen the 4 locknuts and slide the fairing straight forward.:s Cover the fender before you start so you don't scratch it:newsmile055: good luck.

5. maine-e-axe

Hob thats a 89 FLHTP shes an old one.

6. ridemywg

ridemywg Member

I do have the manual and that part of the book is missing.:small3d029:

7. ridemywg

ridemywg Member

Thanks I will dive in.

Ya the newer bikes are a breeze.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  8. maine-e-axe

Ya beer and whiskey make me do dat to, MERRY CHRISTMAS Hob have a pint for me:newsmile100::cheers

9. maine-e-axe

Change the fork oil while your in there and tighten the neck bearing.(adjust)

10. ridemywg

ridemywg Member

Great idea.