free website stats program Batwing Removal Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Batwing Removal Help

ridemywg

I can use some help here, I need to get the outer half of the batwing off my 1989 FLHTP so I can upgrade the sound system, I had found a great link where someone did a step by step for removing the outter bat wing and installing stereo and speakers but unfortunately its not at all the same setup as on my 89, can someone give me some instructions or perhaps a documented removal procedure? I'm a real cluts at snapping things so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me be the first to suggest - get the Service Manual for your bike. It explains how to do this, and hundreds of other procedures!

Got the manual, It says to remove the windshield bolts, loosen 4 bolts of light bracket to fork remove the 2 lower bolts, lower light bracket to rest on fender, remove headlamp trim ring, remove 8 screws from head lamp assembly to the outer fairing, remove head lamp assembly, the outer fairing is attached to metal brackets by 4 studs, 2 on each side of head light opening, loosen the 4 locknuts and slide the fairing straight forward.:s Cover the fender before you start so you don't scratch it:newsmile055: good luck.

WOW all that to get the front fairing off on an 04 scary
on my 09 its 3 windscreen, trim ring for the headlight 1, 4 for the head light, and a further 4 for the bat wing and off it comes, how do i know i did it the other day to grease and protect all the cabling behind there.
the saying they dont build em like they used springs to mind :D

Hob thats a 89 FLHTP shes an old one.

Got the manual, It says to remove the windshield bolts, loosen 4 bolts of light bracket to fork remove the 2 lower bolts, lower light bracket to rest on fender, remove headlamp trim ring, remove 8 screws from head lamp assembly to the outer fairing, remove head lamp assembly, the outer fairing is attached to metal brackets by 4 studs, 2 on each side of head light opening, loosen the 4 locknuts and slide the fairing straight forward.:s Cover the fender before you start so you don't scratch it:newsmile055: good luck.

Thanks I will dive in.

durhh beer and whiskey mix is not good missed the date LOL i thought it was an 04 even so they still dont build em like that any more LOL

Ya the newer bikes are a breeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
durhh beer and whiskey mix is not good missed the date LOL i thought it was an 04 even so they still dont build em like that any more LOL

Ya beer and whiskey make me do dat to, MERRY CHRISTMAS Hob have a pint for me:newsmile100::cheers

Back