free website stats program Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery

ahern25

Quick question regarding battery replacement. I have a 2009 Road King. My service manual states 19amp hrs and 270 cca. I found a battery Model ETX30L which states 26 amp hrs and 400 cca. My question is will this bigger number battery hurt any? Should I just go with the OEM battery through Harley? From my understanding the ETX30L is a direct replacement but why the higher numbers? Thanks for your help in advance. BTW the battery in the bike is still original and its getting hard to start so im assuming the battery is starting to go out and just want to replace it before I get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Higher numbers will never hurt. The more the better. If there was enough room to fit a 24 case automotive battery under the seat, it would be great.

Unless the two batteries your comparing come from the same manufacture, the numbers could not be 100% true. Different companies will stretch the truth, especially on CCA tests. 400 amps is a bunch of current for a CCA test with an AGM battery. I would have to see it to believe it.

ahern25,

Good question!

Hoople,

I would like to know if it is no matter what number is as long as it is 12 voltages and at least 19amp hrs and 270 cca?

Thanks!

The EXT30L may be a Deka, made by East Penn, Harley's supplier of oem batteries. The difference in rating is usually to satisfy a "non compete" clause in the contract. Slightly different specs. (even if not accurate) make the battery meet contract words.

I would like to know if it is no matter what number is as long as it is 12 voltages and at least 19amp hrs and 270 cca?

Yes, something with those specs would work.
I would probably just keep it simple and go with an AGM glass mat battery which is what comes on all the new bikes from the factory. Plenty of new and different battery types are available but it can complex things (physical size, price, charging rates, terminal position, & the list goes on). The standard factory battery is 6 cells w/ 2.1 volt per cell (which is what everyone calls a 12 volt battery). It has electrolyte but no filler caps, is cheap, lasts 4 years, takes vibration well, doesn't out-gas hydrogen, doesn't spill acid and works hand & hand with your current voltage regulator.

Things change if you have engine work and higher compression but if your engine is factory stock, you should be good to go with the above. It's easy to over-think the topic.

Yes, something with those specs would work.
I would probably just keep it simple and go with an AGM glass mat battery which is what comes on all the new bikes from the factory. Plenty of new and different battery types are available but it can complex things (physical size, price, charging rates, terminal position, & the list goes on). The standard factory battery is 6 cells w/ 2.1 volt per cell (which is what everyone calls a 12 volt battery). It has electrolyte but no filler caps, is cheap, lasts 4 years, takes vibration well, doesn't out-gas hydrogen, doesn't spill acid and works hand & hand with your current voltage regulator.

Things change if you have engine work and higher compression but if your engine is factory stock, you should be good to go with the above. It's easy to over-think the topic.

Make sense to keep them simple! Thanks for clarifying my question!

The EXT30L may be a Deka, made by East Penn, Harley's supplier of oem batteries. The difference in rating is usually to satisfy a "non compete" clause in the contract. Slightly different specs. (even if not accurate) make the battery meet contract words.

Just installed a Deka battery last week in ’07 FLHR; same reason, original was cranking a little slower and at the price, worth replacing.
Now, wouldn't be surprised if required spacers on terminals are also to comply with OEM contract requirements. Battery works great; it should this new! :D
FYI: the spacers are easily dropped; used some duct tape on the edge of spacer to hold in place during install.
Big Crank ETX30L Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

Back