free website stats program battery | Harley Davidson Forums

battery

fattyboy

Hi all,Its been awhile,Still working on the 03 fatboy.its a stroker,and has what they call a bigger bore kit not the big bore kit.Iam looking for a battery that has more than 300 cold cranking amps. The one i have now is 300 and thats just not working,And yes i do have compresson realeases.It starts fine if i put the charger on it when i go to start it,The battery is brand new.Need Help Thanks Fattyboy.

It starts fine if i put the charger on it when i go to start it,

If the battery is really brand new, that tells me the bikes charging system may not be keeping the new battery at peak charge. Especially if the plug in charger your using is like a 3 amp charger. A 3 amp charger is not going to add any boost for engine cranking and tells me the bike battery is not at full charge. I would first checked the charging system on the bike at idle. Since it is single phase charging system, you can't waste any voltage through voltage drops..

If the charging system tests perfect, I would then check for a small parasitic drain on the electrical system when the bike is turned off. A small 500 MA drain would do the same thing to your new battery. The plug in charger would offset this drain which fools you into thinking the battery is not big enough. Something like a bad ignition switch could easily drain that much current and you would never see it unless you tested for it. A 500 ma drain would take a good battery to it's knees in 24 hours.

Thanks Hoope, I figured it out.What would happen was when i went to start it the comp.releases would pop off to soon then the motor just didnt want to turn over.So i had some comp.realeases made that wouldnt pop off so soon and it starts right up,just have to crack the throttle a little to shut them.It wasnt the batt. its just so much compression.

Back