free website stats program Battery | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery

I just replaced my original battery (05) yesterday with a H-D battery. 4 1/2 yrs for a battery is acceptable to me. As soon as momma ain't looking I will grab a battery tender and put on it:s

My battery is coming up on it's 3rd anniversary, and I am considering changing it in the spring whether it is still cranking or not.
Good idea or waste of $?

For what a battery costs I would just replace it at the 3 or 4 year mark.

If I questioned the condition of my battery, I would remove it from the bike and load test it. First Check the specfic gravity or charge it. Then apply a load that is 3X the Amp Hour rating (not cranking amps) using a carbon pile for 15 seconds. The battery voltage should not fall below 9.8volts (book value is 9.6 but 9.8 is safer) at the end of 15 seconds of load.
Auto parts stores have these testers. Just tell them the specs you want to apply to your battery.

Any other means of determining battery condition (age, speed of cranking,) is only theoretical. And the cost of making a mistake can be replacing a stator or regulator. A battery with a weak cell will put an extra demand on both the stator and regulator to make up for the voltage drop of the weak cell. It's one thing to have a stripped Pan Head and the only electrical load is your ignition. You can push your luck with that. But have a dresser with a ton of electrical load and your just taking a chance.

Hoop!

Thanks guys. I started putting a battery tender on last year when my generator started to act up. I am wondering if after long rides I should allow the battery to "cool down" before plugging it in. Any thoughts on that?

Cool down? How hot is it getting? If "real hot", something else may be wrong.

Now we are talking about battery tenders, NOT chargers or even "trickle chargers". Tenders have a wee bit of "smarts" built in that will change the charging mode based on the charge condition of the battery. I plug mine in as soon as I park the bike in the garage.

TQ

The "AGM" technology of today's batteries is Great. With a little care, batteries of this type will last for years... IE my next door neighbor has a 2000 Electro-Glide Standard. He installed his 1st replace has battery in 2007. I am sold on these batteries for our type of use.

My original HD battery lasted 6 years. The starter was turning over more slowly so I replaced the battery, never got stranded. I agree, these new AGM batteries are so much better than what we had before (see: 6-volt battery on '49 FL) and easier to maintain.

I'm on my 5th year with my 05 heritage stock battery. Left the key on twice and had to charge it. Now I have a tender and as soon as I plug it in within 5 minutes it's green light. No plans to change it.

How many of you change your battery out every 2-3 years as preventative maintenance as opposed to waiting until it leaves you stranded? My battery is coming up on it's 3rd anniversary, and I am considering changing it in the spring whether it is still cranking or not.
Good idea or waste of $?

If you have been using the stock HD battery with a battery tender, you should be able to get at least 6 years before replacing...sooner than that and you are probably wasting your money. BUT if you have deep discharged it a couple of times, or not used a battery tender to keep it up to it's "normal fully surface charged mode", the battery was designed for; it's reserve capacity will be degraded and battery life will be shorter perhaps a year less...from my experience with modern batteries in all my vehicles. :s

I really appreciate the replies guys. Sounds like I can maybe squeeze another year or two out of my battery. One good thing about my 'ol girl is that if the battery is dead I can kick it. Again, thank you.

I replaced my original battery after 5 years of service, but it still holds a charge. I think batteries have gotten too expensive to just change out as preventative maintenance. It will usually give you some warning before it fails.

Back