free website stats program Battery | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery

One other thing, if it is only when HOT, the engine is tighter (more compression load) and starter and clultch need more torque to start. Turn the bike towards blank garage door or mirror...for visual indication of how much battery reserve you have. If the brightness dims 1/4 brightness or goes out, the voltage is dropping below 9-10V which is where the ICM (Ignition Control Module) will not provide ignition spark, or the starter "drags..." or just clicks, will tell you what to check out next. If the load test of the battery checks out, but the headlamp still goes "dead" when doing your load test, your starter may be drawing too much current, (if as you say, you are on your 3rd battery and should be rated to 250CCA, as long as they were not Walmart "specials"...as Smitty said).

Sounds to me like it might be bleed back through the voltage regulator. Do this stuff:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

If it does turn out to be that (VR), then I suggest changing the VR AND the stator. For some reason, these seem to go out about the same time.

TQ
I worked an a bike with similar problem and would do as TQ suggested. What I found when checking the VR for bleed back, which is done with a 12V test light, was that I only got a very faint glow on the bulb. Missed it the first time I checked it. Caught my eye the 2nd time. Replaced the VR and problem was solved. Good luck.

The battery in my 2004 Heritage Softail won't stay charged. This is the 3rd new battery since we got it in October 2003. The charging system seems to check out okay. What could be causing this problem?

Same thing happened to me. It sounds like you are getting about average life out of HD batterys for more extreme climates. If everything checks out electrically, I'd think about springing for a new battery every 18 months at least.

I'd go with an AGM battery! They drai slower, and re-coupe faster. Also, if you do alot of short trip riding with everything on (lights, Radio, etc) you may not be letting the battery recharge itself. Also, did you make sure all the connections are tight and ground is good?

Back