free website stats program battery voltage measured thru pigtail | Harley Davidson Forums

battery voltage measured thru pigtail

gator508

Experienced Member
Went for a ride with my riding buddy yesterday and noticed his brake light was staying on and then flashing as he applied the brakes, also noticed when he cranked it up it was slow to turn over, after riding for an hour or so the light was back to normal operation. We talked about this and decided his battery could be going south.
He has a pigtail for a tender and wanted to know if the battery voltage could be measured through it, the reason being the bolts that hold his seat on are stripped so he has to remove the saddlebags and sissy bar mounts to get the seat off, his bike is 08 softail custom like mine. Would the voltage be an accurate measurement at the pigtail. Thanks!

Yes the batery voltage will be the same. The tender cable goes straight to the battery. However you will not be able to test the amprage of the battery thru the tender plug. A battery can have 12 volts but the amparge is low or non existant.

Went for a ride with my riding buddy yesterday and noticed his brake light was staying on and then flashing as he applied the brakes, also noticed when he cranked it up it was slow to turn over, after riding for an hour or so the light was back to normal operation. We talked about this and decided his battery could be going south.
He has a pigtail for a tender and wanted to know if the battery voltage could be measured through it, the reason being the bolts that hold his seat on are stripped so he has to remove the saddlebags and sissy bar mounts to get the seat off, his bike is 08 softail custom like mine. Would the voltage be an accurate measurement at the pigtail. Thanks!

Now would be a good time to helicoil the seat bolt threads. The battery needs to come out to be load tested. Eventually, the battery will need replacing, now or later.:s

Yes, providing the pigtail AND battery connections are good, which could be the whole problem.....along with the seat bolt issue...

Thanks guys, I'll pass this along. I told him he really needs to get it fixed, the seat bolts that is, before he has a problem on the road that can't be fixed quickly.

The seat nut on my '07 Ultra stripped out so I bought a new seat nut kit.
PN 59768-97
Comes with the nut and retention washer.
Doesn't take long to replace.

No need to heli-coil it.
Just replace it!

The seat nut on my '07 Ultra stripped out so I bought a new seat nut kit.
PN 59768-97
Comes with the nut and retention washer.
Doesn't take long to replace.

No need to heli-coil it.
Just replace it!

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the bolts are mounted within the seat attached to fiberboard, (this is a guess) and instead of loosening, the entire bolt and acorn nut just turn, I'm thinking it was over torqued. He will probably have to get it to an upholstery shop for a proper fix.

Once your friend gets the seat off just tell him to remove the staples at the bolt area to expose them, then use a two part epoxy to re set them. Staple it back up and done.

Once your friend gets the seat off just tell him to remove the staples at the bolt area to expose them, then use a two part epoxy to re set them. Staple it back up and done.

Thanks Steve, I will pass this along to him.:cheers

Back