free website stats program Battery Tender? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender?

I'm in the market for a battery tender this year also. Am I to understand it's not good to leave them plugged in? I was reading about one JP Cycles had and it says it's automatic, senses voltage goes to float mode. Sounds good. Isn't it? Does the HD one do these things?

I use "c tek" battery chargers on all my vehicles.These are completely spark free,reverse polarity protected and can be left connected for months.(switching between charging and pulse maintenance)They come with quick connectors that are bolted to the battery terminals, and you merely plug the charger into that lead for hassle free charging.Further,their new quick connectors come with green,yellow and red l.e.d.'s to indicate battery condition at a glance.No more putting your voltmeter across the terminals.I bought an XS3600 for cars and bikes;and then an XS7000 which includes a battery recondition mode.For cars and bikes also.

Seriously,these are probably one of the best battery chargers available Worldwide today.The XS3600 is on special here for $90;in the U.S probably around $50.

Check out their Website.

You can leave it connected to the bike without any problems?

In this difficult economy it's more important then ever to protect all the money we have invested in our bikes.

But, and this is JUST MY VERY HUMBLE OPINION, there are ways to save money and there are times when saving a couple dollars and taking chances doesn't make sense.

I go with the Harley Smart Charger.

A couple bucks more, but no dealer is going to tell me I screwed something up on my bike by "using the wrong charger", as they did a buddy of mine who started having electrical problems and went through a couple batteries.

Stupid finger-pointing by the dealer? ABSOLUTELY.

But just on the slim chance it could be true I'll pay the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is to have a Harley branded smart charger on my scoots, with the Harley battery pigtail to plug it into. I sleep better at night all winter long knowing I have my bikes tended by those 24-7.

We think along the same lines. And it actually isn't all that much more money then some of the others. Do you leave the pigtail outside of your battery area, like zip tied to the frame or on inside of it?

I bring the pigtail out the back of the frame horn under the fender strut facing rearwards, if you forget to unplug it, the pigtail unplugs itself as you roll the bike out of the garage.. (Don't ask):D

I have also used a plug available in marine stores with a two prong plug and mount it in the side cover.

I've been using one of the HD 1.25 amp global chargers for a good 10 to 13 years (yes same one) and have never had it ruin or drain not one battery yet; charging all winter. I'd say if the battery Tender is unsafe to use and forget than buy the HD one. These are made to keep a battery topped off so it's ready come spring.

I had a battery tender on my old bike and saved the lead for the new bike only to find my dealer stuck one on it for me anyway. Yes the HD lead fits the battery tender.

In this difficult economy it's more important then ever to protect all the money we have invested in our bikes.

But, and this is JUST MY VERY HUMBLE OPINION, there are ways to save money and there are times when saving a couple dollars and taking chances doesn't make sense.

I go with the Harley Smart Charger.

A couple bucks more, but no dealer is going to tell me I screwed something up on my bike by "using the wrong charger", as they did a buddy of mine who started having electrical problems and went through a couple batteries.

Stupid finger-pointing by the dealer? ABSOLUTELY.

But just on the slim chance it could be true I'll pay the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is to have a Harley branded smart charger on my scoots, with the Harley battery pigtail to plug it into. I sleep better at night all winter long knowing I have my bikes tended by those 24-7.

Both chargers cost about the same and I won't tell you who makes them both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everyone. Update... I tested the factory plug polarity on my 09' SG and looked at a friends battery tender plus. The plug is correct for the factory plug. The software states that you can leave the battery tender plugged in all the time without damaging the battery. I don't think I will leave it plugged in all winter. Mainly because I will switch it back and forth between the sportster and the SG. However the reviews that I read and the people that I have talked to highly recommend the battery tender charger. I think it will be an excellent battery charger to have. This is the first battery charger that I trust. I barely leave any of my other chargers on for more than a day (even the so called automatic ones). I like the design of the case much better than that of the H-D brand charger, and I also like the fact that I can use the tender plus on other cars/bikes with the added hardware. Right now I have it attached to my lawn mower using the suppied alligator clip coupling. Thanks everyone

Batter Tender is a great product. I have a six volt and a 12 volt one (juniors).....my 'ol 66 BMW is a 6 volt. I love them. I did notice the cords one the newer bike and I thought the were battery tender hookups. I don't know what HD gets for their charge, but I'll bet it's alot more than B.T.
They come with a 5 year warranty, and I did have to return just one of mine in about 6 years of having them. great product, great people.
There is ONE thing...DO NOT just plug it in and forget it. Eventually, even with the "float" mode, it will drain the battery, I learned the hard way with the tiny 6 volt battery one the '66.
My 2 came with all the cords for permanenet hookup and alligator clips also,

Leaving Battery Tender on does not "drain" the battery...but continuously over 9 or 12 months it could evaporate the moisture out of the gel or water out of the battery electrolyte, as most maintenance free batteries are "sealed" with less electrolyte and more plates, which we can't replenish...eh...sort of...:D

Last edited:
You can leave it connected to the bike without any problems?

Absolutely.Their website can tell you more,as can the individual charger manuals-a free download from aforesaid website.

Obviously,you have to keep an eye on ANY permanently connected charger,but these are definitely manufactured as long term chargers.

As a bonus,they ALL come with a set of spring clips and a set of permanent eyelet connectors to fit on the battery terminals.

Back