free website stats program Battery tender question. | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery tender question.

Hi. I keep my 883 plugged in to my battery tender and always have. I noticed tonight that the led is blinking green, meaning the battery is more that 80% charged. It is usually solid green. Is my battery on its way out? I rode it Sunday and it ran fine.
As I am typing this, I am realizing that the battery is almost 7 years old, so it's probably near the end of it's life.

It just had to catch up,but yeah,once they turn green they usually stay that way.I'd say 7 years is a good run.I'd change it.

Oddly enough, it's solid green this morning. I will pull it out and have it tested. 7 years is a long time for a battery. Time to start battery shopping.
Thanks.

Oddly enough, it's solid green this morning. I will pull it out and have it tested. 7 years is a long time for a battery. Time to start battery shopping.
Thanks.

Same thing happened when my battery was new, looked at the pigtail connection and there was some crud on the one connected to the battery, cleaned it up and has been working fine for 3+ years, so maybe check that.
Having said all that 7 years is a long time for a battery to last. Consider yourself very fortunate. I think my old battery started going south after about 6, had to jump it off a couple of times.

7 years... man that's awesome... it had a good life put it to pasture and get a new one. Mine is the original 6 years old, I plug in it after every ride... notice that at times it seems to be a bit lacking in cranking amps...bought time for me to follow my own advice and get a new one too. Would hate to be stranded in the middle of nowhere north TX.

I have noticed that the BT Jr. will take a long time to go green if it is plugged into AC before connecting to the battery pigtail. I have experimented with this and found that if I plug in the battery pigtail to the lead from the BT Jr. and then plug in the BT Jr. to AC power, it starts on red for a VERY short period (less than a minute) and then goes flashing green. Within the hour it is on solid green. Give this process a try.

Cheers,

TQ

+1 on what TQuentin1 says, it's spot on. Did the same one time and it took quite a while to go from red to green.

Back