Battery Tender Polarity

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rod Stewart, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Rod Stewart

Rod Stewart Active Member

Ok simple question.
    Just replacing the aux power pigtail on a 2007 Road King, and need to know the polarity. I don't have my tender handy (its back home), so I need to know which pin on the bike mounted pigtail is + and which is ground. I seem to recall that the pin which is shielded by the molded plastic is hot (+) and the bare pin is ground. Can anyone confirm this please? Thanks.
    Rod

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Confirmed.

3. joel

joel Junior Member

Without looking at mine, I would think that the 1 with the protected end is the positive wire, if the end that is exposed touches ground it won't do any damage

4. Rod Stewart

OK thanks for the confirmation. I was worried about somehow getting it messed up!
    Rod

5. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

On the leads that go to the battery terminals, you probably have a fuse holder. That lead goes to the positive terminal.

But BT indicate the following in their info:

"REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION: The battery charger is protected internally against any damage due to the DC output leads being connected to the opposite polarity battery post. No damage will result to either the battery or the battery charger."

Cheers,

TQ

6. Rod Stewart

Didn't know that about the battery tender, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks TQ.

7. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Aren't the wires also red & black?

8. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Most of the newer ones I've seen just have a red piece of shrink on one side. It seems to disappear fairly quickly...