free website stats program Battery Tender (Optimizer) Yes or No??? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender (Optimizer) Yes or No???

Mine does the same thing
Jack,

OK. But if I plug my battery pig-tail into the lead from the BTJr when that unit is already plugged into the wall, then it will stay "Red" for a long time (sometimes days). If I plug the battery pig-tail into the lead from the unit and THEN plug the unit into wall power (120 Vac), then the unit flips to flashing green very quickly (unually less then a minute). Not sure how to explain that.

Cheers,

TQ
On the Schumacher unit it says to plug into the bike first then to 120V. Not sure why or if the Tender Jr. is the same. Must be something in the computer circuit that is already latched if plugged into the wall receptacle first. The new Schumacher has a digital read out that tells you if connection is correct and what the % of charge is.

On the Schumacher unit it says to plug into the bike first then to 120V. Not sure why or if the Tender Jr. is the same. Must be something in the computer circuit that is already latched if plugged into the wall receptacle first. The new Schumacher has a digital read out that tells you if connection is correct and what the % of charge is.

Hmmm. I have never read the instructions on the new BTJr. Maybe it does say to do it that way!!! My bad for not doing that.

Cheers,

TQ

Hi guys,
I have been using a CTEK battery tender, with great success. I plug in after every ride, and over winter when no riding takes place. First class piece of kit.
Check the info sheet attached.
Ride safe
Johnb

Attachments

• MXS 4003_EN.pdf
    771.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi guys,
I have been using a CTEK battery tender, with great success. I plug in after every ride, and over winter when no riding takes place. First class piece of kit.
Check the info sheet attached.
Ride safe
Johnb
The connection sequence here is like the Schumacher, battery connection first.

When did Harley go to a Canbus electrical system?
I too have ctek battery chargers permanently connected to all my bikes and cars, and when I get back from a ride that bike goes straight back onto charge.
However , because my BMW HP2 has a Canbus system, a "normal" ctek charger only charges the BM battery to 80% and no further, no matter how long it's on charge (charging function is controlled by the ECU and can be reprogrammed to be charged by a non Canbus charger). Could this be the issue with your battery and charger?
Hence the question about the Canbus system.If you have a Canbus system,then it ought to be charged by a Canbus compatible charger. I had to buy an 'Optimate 4' charger which will work on both systems.
Just a thought.

2011 models, I know this because our 15 trike had it but our 07 Dyna did not

Jack hooks it up on my Rav 4 every night for an hour

Last edited by a moderator:
Back