free website stats program Battery Tender For Storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender For Storage

bwalsh22

any tips on hooking up the Pig tail on a Dyna. I messed around with it last night and just could not seem to get it to fit right, finally walked away from it before I did something stupid. I was trying to hide it under the seat, but the battery box and cover don't seem to have enough room for the wires, along with the fuse on the one end to get it to fit. Any suggesstions or pics would be great, else I'll be messing with it again sometime in the future. For now it is hooked up and happy, just not for the long-term.

any tips on hooking up the Pig tail on a Dyna. I messed around with it last night and just could not seem to get it to fit right, finally walked away from it before I did something stupid. I was trying to hide it under the seat, but the battery box and cover don't seem to have enough room for the wires, along with the fuse on the one end to get it to fit. Any suggesstions or pics would be great, else I'll be messing with it again sometime in the future. For now it is hooked up and happy, just not for the long-term.

IMG_0257.jpg

Pic is a shot from the right side of the bike with the Run, Brake Turn Signal Module Kit on the left (pulled out of the batt. compartment). There is another lead pulled back in the center top (forms a loop in the ctr of pic) . I have connected the Batt. Tender + pig tail to the postive terminal (note the red connetions in the pic). You can spot the fuse for the Batt. Tender near the copper/rust colored ground post on the right side of the pic. I connected my negative (-) pig tail to the bike's ground post. Follow the pig tail wire out of the Batt Tender fuse in you can see it join with the + wire and go down behind the battery (ctr, bottom of pic.)

I first fold the Run, Brake, Turn Signal module and wires towards the back of the compartment (top of pic) and push them down in the space between the rear fender and the batt compartment. I then stow the other lead on top of the module wires. I stow the batt. Tender wire and fuse are in the center of the pic with the pig tail running down behind the battery.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there are other ways to do this but it works for me.

Many thanks, so you have the batter turned so the connectors are inside, under the seat. My battery connections were facing out towards the cover, which is what was causing the problems since the cover does not want to go over with the extra connections on. I'm guessing it will be ok to flip the batter around.

Many thanks, so you have the batter turned so the connectors are inside, under the seat. My battery connections were facing out towards the cover, which is what was causing the problems since the cover does not want to go over with the extra connections on. I'm guessing it will be ok to flip the batter around.

I notice your bike is a 06 Street Bob. I haven't seen how the battery is set in your bike so I'm not sure how secure your battery would be if it was turned around. If your not sure I would suggest a quick call to the HD dealership.

Worse would be causing unforseen clearance and hidden damage to wiring harness after doing such a modification. This is a vibrating, high heat environment, where the harness wiring may chafe/cut/burn due to improperly routed insulation in an untested configuration. Be careful out there!

Okay, well I welcome any other suggesstions. The hookups are toward the outside of the bike, not under the seat and facing the cover.

Okay, well I welcome any other suggesstions. The hookups are toward the outside of the bike, not under the seat and facing the cover.

I would bet a 6-pack the battery tender will hook up to your bike. Your HD dealer sells them and my experience in dealing directly with Battery Tender folks has been great. Contact Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs you local dealer, betcha they can give you the help that you need.

It definitely fits, just a matter of making it clean/hidden that I think is causing my problems.

I've used a 12v automotive 15 amp automatic/manual charger on a couple of bikes with no problems. I set the charger on automatic, in a short time it's trickling on and off 0 amps. I have left it that way overnight. Has anyone out there ever really damaged a battery this way?

Back