free website stats program Battery Tender for Storage viewed 7,890 times | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender for Storage viewed 7,890 times

The trick seems to be keeping it charged if it's in the bike and cold all winter or out of the bike and warm if not on a tender on the bike. Back in the good ole days, when I was a kid and all we had was trickle chargers, I did what your bud does and always had good results, but one year when I was too lazy/stupid to take the bat out, sure enough, come spring it wouldn't hold a charge. (it was about 3 years old at that point, but I really believe had I done the right thing it would have been fine. My Ultra battery is about 5 years old now and been on a tender EVERY day of it's life,all year, and performs like a new battery.)
:small3d031:

Wow, Richard!

Both my bike and my truck have a battery tender on them. Because I use my bike practically every day, I find my truck is more in need of it. Hopefully, I will be able to get the batteries to last least 3 years or more!! Usually, here in Phoenix we are lucky to get them to go more than a year.

CatWoman :rider

Don't waste your money.

Buy the battery tender from Harbor freight, buy only when it's on sale ~ $5. Not bad. It's intelligent and I have them on my Vette and my RK. On the RK, you will have to cuy the wires and solder on the bike tender "male" connector unless you want to remove the seat and use the alligator clips.

Just make sure you get the polarity right.

These tenders are so smart you can touch the leads together and it won't hurt the unit. Don't be faked out by the size of the "package". the H.F unit is small and lightweight.

It isn't a charger so if you leave your switch (or lights) on, it won't charge the battery. It just keeps the battery "floating".

Years ago I opted for the "heavier" (american made) engine tester (the old days - dwell meter, etc.). I'm a degreed electronics engineer. When I disassembled the old "heavy" duty engine tester, it had a lead plate inside of it to make it "heavy". I'm not kidding.

Do yourself a favor, save some money, and treat yourself to the H.F. tender. I'm not big on helping the Chinese, but these things are "da bomb"...and I'm "cheap"!

Back