free website stats program Battery/starting problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery/starting problems

Afternoon all,

Been having some issues with the 2004 883 as follows:

Bike failed to start after 4 -5 attempts then battery went flat

Charged the battery using a Optimate III SP
(can one use this on the HD?)

When the battery was charged tried to start the bike again and again 5 - 6 attemps to start and battery went flat?

Thanks in advance

D

You may want to pull a spark plug to see if it is wet. Then take the removed plug and attach it to the spark plug wire. Hold base of plug against frame ground, crank engine and check for spark.

Hoop!

Hi, ok the battery got charged at it started around the 3rd time. Took it for 20 mile run all ok. Will check again tomorrow

Cheers

You never want to fast charge a battery, only slow charge so it doesn't overheat and warp the plates. Also never jump a battery in a bike from a car because damage to electrical components can occur.

Thanks again for the feedback. Is it ok to plug in the charger say once a week just to keep it at it best? (it is the wifes bike and she dont go on it at much a I hoped)

I agree with Glider about the charger. If it is the original Battery you might start thinking about getting a new one. 3 to 4 years is good from a battery. Once it is drained at that age it can go quickly.

The optimate III is designed to be left plugged in all the time it checks the charge of the battery every 1/2 hour and if it has dropped it starts to give it a float charge till its full then goes back to monitor till sufficient drop in power is detected
just plug it in and leave it till you use the bike

Brian
http://www.optimate3.com/classic/

Last edited:
I agree with Glider about the charger. If it is the original Battery you might start thinking about getting a new one. 3 to 4 years is good from a battery. Once it is drained at that age it can go quickly.

Wow, 3-4 years from a battery, here in the Arizona desert, you are lucky to get 2 years 1 to 1 1/2 is much more likely :(

To get the most out of my batteries, I use a Delfran Battery Tender Junior on both my bike and truck (although, the one on my bike is rarely needed :s )

CatWoman ::rider

Back