free website stats program Battery / starting problem on Heritage Softail | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery / starting problem on Heritage Softail

:bigsmiley23: First off...Hi everybody, just joined

Second, I am havin g grief starting my 1995 heritage softail. When I turn her over the battery flattens after two or three tries without her actually firing. Any Ideas ???

I have just fitted a new battery and the problem is the same, but the voltage regulator or the stator is bad (awaiting a new voltage regulator) and it will start fine if I jump start it from the car. Something seems to just suck the juice out of the battery on starting.....

Any ideas would be cool thanks

Mick

Welcome to the forum.

Possibly could be a bad battery cable or cable connection at the engine ground. Difficult to say from your description.
Jumping it could provide more amperage and provide enough to start the engine. Feel the connections on the cables after cranking the engine with jumpers and see if they are hot. If they are than there's the problem and they need to be cleaned.

Here's the way to check the charging system.

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

Having had (what sounds like)a similar problem with my previous bike it turned out to be what the dealer called a "lazy" starter motor. It draws an enormeous amount of amps but gives little performance in return. Replacement did the trick.

Okey Dokey - Thanks for the replies

I have a bit more info....replaced the voltage regulator yesterday and fitted new battery, took her out for a 30 40 miles spin, beautiful weather, ace to be back on the road, got her home, turned her off, started her....no problems Yay !!! left her a couple of hours, started her again....no problem Double yay !!! Finally left her until she was completely cold, started her again....triple whammy No problems...

Then.....got up this morning, tried to start her, battery drained, wouldn't turn over...Bugger !!! :cry

Had her on charge all afternoon, started no problems....it seems that the battery is discharging itself if left over night.....Any Suggestions

Cheers for your time in replying

Mick

Okey Dokey - Thanks for the replies

I have a bit more info....replaced the voltage regulator yesterday and fitted new battery, took her out for a 30 40 miles spin, beautiful weather, ace to be back on the road, got her home, turned her off, started her....no problems Yay !!! left her a couple of hours, started her again....no problem Double yay !!! Finally left her until she was completely cold, started her again....triple whammy No problems...

Then.....got up this morning, tried to start her, battery drained, wouldn't turn over...Bugger !!! :cry

Had her on charge all afternoon, started no problems....it seems that the battery is discharging itself if left over night.....Any Suggestions

Cheers for your time in replying

Mick

I would start at the fuse block and check for draw at each fuse with a meter to find out what circuit on the bike the draw is coming from. When you locate the circuit then it's time to trace the wires in that circuit to find where they are grounding out. Quite often you will find a wire that is rubbing bare to the copper but not touching enough to blow the fuse.

This has really helped. I had about the same problem except it was a wire from the connection to my trickle charger that was worn and touching.

Cheers for the suggestions, guys

Will check it out when I get a Mo'....wired in a lighting kit and a set of air-horns myself....not too hot on electrics, probably left something touching soewhere

Ride Safe

Mick

Back